Real plumbers ARE expensive, aren't they?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Lorne

After waiting for weeks to have a local handy-man Type connect my drain from the new shower base and correct screw-ups under the house, made in 1986, when they built this home (had to be drunk out of they're minds at the time) I finally got it connected.
I first called a Handyman recommended by a neighbor. I called and he said he knew right where we were and I gave our phone number. LAST I EVER HEARD FROM HIM.

2nd man had posted a large and detailed poster at the club house. He did Everything you might want, with 50 years experience. I called, he came, he looked, he was all confused, so I said, "Sorry, I'll try someone else".

3rd was a guy who had replaced an entire bedroom exterior wall including a new window, drywall and insulation. Good price , 3 men and two days work.

Well, he came, he looked said he would even pick up some sheetrock for me and would see me that following weekend.

Well, that weekend came and went along with the next THREE weekends. I even called and left a message. No reply.

Finally called Fourstar Plumbing, told them what I wanted and 2 days later they were here, rerouted the old bad connections and I ready to finish the shower.

And it should look something like this.
Well my rant is finished and I feel wonderfully relieved.

I wanted cheap and that's what I got. You pay more and you get more.

I REALLY need a shower BADLY/ It's been a month sinse I used this shower. P U.
Have a good day.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Jim from Canada

Yes, real plumbers are expensive. How much would you charge to be elbow deep in someone elses poo.

Jim
Lorne

I agree hole heatedly, but there should be a NO-POO discount.
This guy said they did a house that had sewage draining directly to the ground under the house for 2 years. He said they had rubber suits, duct taped they're gloves on and respirators.

Oh well, I'm just glad that part is finished.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hi,

LOL, my Hubby is a "real" plumber. Yes, the cost can be expensive and for us as well...continuing education, license, permits, insurances to name a few...

Then from his point of view all those "cheap" handy men that are not plumbers yet try to be and for those homeowners that get "creative" with their repairs... homeowners that fail to maintain their homes so now there emergency becomes ours...

BUT, then there are more jobs than not that the homeowner needs the repair and does not have the money...we eat that mannnnny times.

Just another opinion :wink:

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

Just knowing code is worth the money. I am sure that any licenced professional has been to a job that was botched by a "handyman". Sometimes it costs more to fix the mistakes than the original problem would have cost to fix right.
Lorne

And ,older or maybe newer, mobile Homes seem to be a big problem area.
Undoubtedly there was a "Code" in affect in 1986 when they built this one, but it must have been the "Morse Code" ,full of dots and dashes.
Greg

That was one of the reasons that HUD got involved in the Mobile Home industry. There was no uniform code and no agency to regulate one. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Jim...

You are 100% right on that!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!