FOX news...Disgusting

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jim from Canada

I have just witnessed the clip on FOX news about Canadians pulling out of Afganistan. After over 100 of troops coming home in a box they have the gall to "satirically" attack our troops with garbage and insults. I am a pacifist, but we have one of the most respected armies in the world, and I am proud of all they have done. There has only been 1 conflict between Canada and the USA, and that ended in Canada, led by a drunk, delivering a sound thrashing and burning the Whitehouse. The ignoramuses at FOX should be fired, strung up and whipped!

Jim
Greg S

It's only Television and only the opinion of those at the station.
It is not worth getting stressed over the opinions of others but that is just my opinion being a laid back easygoing Canadian..
Yanita

Hey Jim,

Sorry I did not see the clip..hopefully the newscaster will get his due from his bosses.

As GregS said, it is the opinion of one idiot, not from all of the USA.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Jim, get the blood pressure down, everyone has the right to their opinon, even if is wrong!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DigitalDreams

Jim just remember that the views of that station and the newscaster at fox which is owned by Rupert Murdock and sometimes our government are not always the views of the rest of us ,most of us at least those of us who live in the northern border states value and appreciate the friendship of our Canadian friends and really wish the news media would stop acting like they speak for everyone.
So grab a bottle of beer and just ignore them like I do.
Harry

Hi

Here's the latest casualty count by country.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
oldfart

Harry I missed that newscast as well and Fox News is all I watch. I don't always support their view but I do believe they give a much more real newscast than the other stations. (The way they CBS/NBC/etc. fawn over The Evil One you'd think they need to apply Chap-Stick before each glowing announcement. ) If Fox piqued yer anger, allow me to apoligize for them. I don't know of any Americans that have a beef with the Canadians. They aren't speaking for me or anyone I know. The U.K. is also pulling out and from the numbers on your graph most of the other countries were hardly even there. I take it the big yellow part of the graph is the U.S. losses? Hmmmm? Our media keeps telling us we've had 4000 casulties in this war. I assume they mean all the NATO forces..eh? But the numbers on the graph don't add up to 4000...whats going on? Anyways..lemme pour you a cold one and soothe them ruffled feathers. Your friend..Audie..the Oldfart..
Jim from Canada

It was Greg Gutfield and crew on the Red Eye show, a supposidly "satirical" look at the news. These morons don't have the intelligence to know that satire, by definition, is based on truth. They have also given an apology after thousnds of groups, e mails, calls to the network, calls for boycots, etc. I would think they were told to apologize. He went so far in his "act" to suggest the USA invade Canada and many other inflamitory remarks. All this on the day 4 more of our young people are coming home in a box. Can anyone say "insensative"?

Jim
oldfart

Sorry Jim.....I meant to say Jim..not Harry. Can't figger out how to correct that.....arrrghhh! Audie...
Jim from Canada

British news paper salutes . . . this is a good read. It is funny how it took someone in to put it into words... Sunday Telegraph Article From today's UK wires:
Salute to a brave and modest nation - Kevin Myers, 'The Sunday Telegraph' LONDON:

Until the deaths of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops are deployed in the region.

And as always, Canada will bury its dead, just as the rest of the world, as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything ever does.. It seems that Canada’s historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored.

Canada is the perpetual wallflower that stands on the edge of the hall, waiting for someone to come and ask her for a dance. A fire breaks out, she risks life and limb to rescue her fellow dance-goers, and suffers serious injuries. But when the hall is repaired and the dancing resumes, there is Canada, the wallflower still, while those she once helped glamorously cavort across the floor, blithely neglecting her yet again.

That is the price Canada pays for sharing the North American continent with the USA , and for being a selfless friend of USA in two global conflicts.

For much of the 20th century, Canada was torn in two different directions: It seemed to be a part of the old world, yet had an address in the new one, and that divided identity ensured that it never fully got the gratitude it deserved.

Yet it's purely voluntary contribution to the cause of freedom in two world wars was perhaps the greatest of any democracy. Almost 10% of Canada’s entire population of seven million people served in the armed forces during the First World War, and nearly 60,000 died. The great Allied victories of 1918 were spearheaded by Canadian troops, perhaps the most capable soldiers in the entire British order of battle.

Canada was repaid for its enormous sacrifice by downright neglect, it's unique contribution to victory being absorbed into the popular Memory as somehow or other the work of the 'British.'

The Second World War provided a re-run. The Canadian navy began the war with a half dozen vessels, and ended up policing nearly half of the Americans against U-boat attack. More than 120 Canadian warships participated in the landings, during which 15,000 Canadian soldiers went ashore on D-Day alone.

Canada finished the war with the third-largest navy and the fourth largest air force in the world. The world thanked them with the same sublime indifference as it had the previous time.

Canadian participation in the war was acknowledged in film only if it was necessary to give an American actor a part in a campaign in which the United States had clearly not participated - a touching scrupulousness which, of course, has since abandoned, as it has any notion of a separate Canadian identity.

So it is a general rule that actors and filmmakers arriving in USA keep their nationality - unless, that is, they are Canadian. Thus Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Donald Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Alex Trebek, Art Linkletter and Dan Aykroyd have in the popular perception become American, and Christopher Plummer, British.

It is as if, in the very act of becoming famous, a Canadian ceases to be Canadian, unless she is Margaret Atwood, who is as unshakably Canadian as a moose, or Celine Dion, for whom Canada has proved quite unable to find any takers.

Moreover, Canada is every bit as querulously alert to the achievements of its sons and daughters as the rest of the world is completely unaware of them. The Canadians proudly say of themselves - and are unheard by anyone else - that 1% of the world's population has provided 10% of the world's peacekeeping forces.

Canadian soldiers in the past half century have been the greatest peacekeepers on Earth - in 39 missions on UN mandates, and six on non-UN peacekeeping duties, from Vietnam to East Timor, from Sinai to Bosnia.

Yet the only foreign engagement that has entered the popular non-Canadian imagination was the sorry affair in, which out-of-control paratroopers murdered two Somali infiltrators. Their regiment was then disbanded in disgrace - a uniquely Canadian act of self-abasement for which, naturally, the Canadians received no international credit.

So who today in the USA knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbour has given?

Canada repeatedly does honourable things for honourable motives, but instead of being thanked for it, it remains something of a figure of fun. It is the Canadian way, for which Canadians should be proud, yet such honour comes at a high cost. This past year more grieving Canadian families knew that cost all too tragically well.

Lest we forget.
Teatime

Jim,
No offense, but you're getting really upset over something that isn't worth it. "Red Eye" ISN'T a NEWS SHOW. It's a totally off-the-wall comedy program FOX runs at 2 a.m. I've seen it once and it makes Saturday Night Live look tame but it's the same type of program. It is no more a Fox news program than SNL is an NBC news program.

As I said, I watched part of it once and it is a really bizarre program with STRONG sexual innuendo and a no-holds-barred style. I found it offensive. NO ONE could possibly take it seriously, and that's the point. I believe it IS entirely bizarre so no one CAN take it seriously.

Teatime
Harry

Hi Old farting one

The 4,000 you mention must be the other war front....Iraq.
According to CNN Canada has not lost any troops in Iraq as of March 25, 2009. Here's a link: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/f ... asualties/

Jim from Canada was referring to Afganistan.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?