Trying to Quit

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Yanita

Yup, time to whiiiine!

It has been since Friday March 20 at 2PM since my last cigarette. The first day was much easier than I remembered from the previous trying to quit time.

Today has taken soooo much effort and conscience thought that it has made me really irritable. LOL, be glad you do not live here, I am waiting for anyone to say the wrong thing, or anything that I can pounce on!!!!!

I must confess, I took 2 loooong hard drags, to calm the nerves, ease the tension....wham, no sooner exhaled and a pounding headache erupted and turning green! Was so sick to my stomach that I had to go lay down a minute.

Quitting is outright hard and almost cruel! I find myself short of breath and coughing like I never did before. This hunger thing is another thing on my last nerve...next thing I know I am going to be over weight...is there really such a thing as winning?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lefties

Come on Yanita,,you can do it. It gets better. In my own experience after a week it got easier,,then again after 2 weeks. In my opinion just touching them and or puffing on them even unlit is just feeding the psychological habit that is part of smoking. I figured that out and then just threw them away..end of story.
Fat?? haha,,yup,,i gained 35 pounds,,got diabetes etc. I guess theres no winning really.
After 7.5 yrs of being smoke free and fat I can honestly say I dont know if it was a blessing to me,,but much better for those around me. Im pullin for ya :lol:
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Linda

Well I'm just a few hours ahead of you. Patch went on at 11:00am March 20th. I finally went back and figured it out that I have been smoking since I was 14 so that is a total of 45 years for me. Hubby put his patch on at same time he is a three pack a day and he has been smoking since he was 10 that is 55years. He is on the high (21mg) patch and I started on the 14mg size. After 12 hours he had to have a smoke but it did the same thing to him that it did to you. Made him sick. Well here we are three days later and I am doing okay no withdrawal and no cravings. He left Sun.(he drives a truck) and he called last night and had to talk though an urge made it and then called today and he was so upset everything was going wrong. He still has not had a smoke but has had to talk though several today. I know that he is going to have the hardest time with this because he has nothing he can do with his hands.

Just keep it up and watch what you eat so you don't gain the weight. I don't know anyone that has quit that didn't gain some weight. I hope you feel better tomorrow. It will get better. I think the reason I'm not biting heads off is the fact that I was ready to quit.

Good luck and take it one day at a time it is just like drinking. One day at a time will be your next best saying.

Have a better day,

Linda
Jim from Canada

Hang in there, wish I had the proper mind set to quit. I am puffing one of those damn things right now.

Jim
Harry

Hi

Withdrawal symptoms can last from a few days to a few weeks.

Hang in there.

Here's an article: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/7428.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hey All,

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Come on Jim, join the rest of us miserable folks! :shock: Actually wished I was joining you, noooo, I want to do this.

Linda, congrats on your success to date. I have not taken another drag, guess I am accomplishing something.

Got in the car this AM to go to work, yup, got to clean it. The smell stinks but makes me want one.

Lefties, I am not encouraged by your words of weight gain LOL. I guess I am pretty vain in that area for myself. Hmmm, trying to watch weight ANNNND quit smoking.

You are completely right about the psychological addiction. There are times in the day that are just sooo hard. I make note of my routines and realized that I would smoke during some of those activities more than other times. So now I am trying to find something different. What's odd is I really don't want the cigarette, it seems to be the motion...I don't know, guess I will figure it out.

Today I feel like crap, I am really tired, irritated, hungry and the coughing and wheezing has really begun. To be sure quitting smoking does not cause all this.

33 years of a bad habit....

Again thanks everyone for your words...

Yanita
flcruising

So THAT's why you were so irritated with me earlier. Hahahahaha. Again, sorry.

Keep it up. I mean, don't keep up habit, but keep up the will-power.

It's been 1-1/2 years for me since I quit, even though I didn't smoke as long as most (9 years), I was ready to do it. I think THAT was the key for me. I got sick of being addicted to something that I knew was bad, made me stink horribly (I know that more now, than I did then), and wasted so much money. One other time in the past I tried, but I lived with others who smoked, which made it pretty much impossible. Then, I got married and bought a house.

My wife was able to quit when she got pregnant with our first, it took me a few years longer. I was determined to do it mainly for myself, but also for our daughter. I didn't want to set that kind of example. That is what gave me the ability to stop it and never temp it again. Yes, it was hard, but once you determine in yourself that you are fed up with it, it becomes easier to say "No thanks". I've been offered cigarettes by others, and the gratification of saying "No, I've quit" is almost empowering.

Keep on, keeping on. Yes, you can!

God Bless!
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
lefties

[quote]Lefties, I am not encouraged by your words of weight gain LOL. I guess I am pretty vain in that area for myself. Hmmm, trying to watch weight ANNNND quit smoking.

Ok,,i quit smoking 7.5 yrs ago,,lost 35 pounds and got HEALTHY :roll:
Greg

Keep it up, you can do it!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

Yanita wish I had read this before posting in the other area. Anyways..give it yer best shot M'am! As I recall the first week was the worst. Yeah...I've quit about a thousand times. Once for 4 years!! I think the reason for the weight gain is we want something to occupy our hands and keep our mouths busy....more habit than actual need. Some folks chew toothpicks..get the cinnamin flavored ones! Drink lots of hot tea...clears out the airways in the lungs like an anti-histamine. The green tea is actually good for you to! Brush yer teeth! Yes..seriously! Ever notice how after ya brush yer teeth you don't want a smoke right away cause yer mouth tastes fresh&clean?? Yup, I know it's tough Yanita but I hope you succeed. If not this time..then the next. Sometimes we fall off the wagon a few times before we git it right. And don't be afraid to commisserate with yer friends! It helps you..it helps us! When we hear how shi++y you feel ....our life seems more better! HAW!HAW!HAW! Just joking M'am. YMHS...Audie the Oldfart. P.S. if it makes you feel any better I haven't had any beer except for 2 days in March. Going for a record! Avg. consumption..2 cases (60 beers) a week. I'm ready to grab a straw and head down to the septic tank...I know there's some in there!!
Linda

Yanita how's it going? I feel better this week I haven't coughed since Thur. Hubby coughed all weekend but it was not the same cigarette cough that he has had for the last year or so. We are trying to do something new every week so this weekend we went to a new Mexican Restaurant that we haven't been to because they are non smoking oh and the food was so good. We will go back. That is our reward to ourselves we never thought we would go a whole week without a smoke. Our daughter was here Sat. and she smoked in the house and we never even noticed it till she washed her ashtray.
Hope you had a good birthday and that you are having a better week. Maybe this one will be easier on you.

Linda
Jim from Canada

Hang in there girl, wish I could do it. You ought to be coughing up that brown lung juice by now. Seeing that should re affirm your dedication to quitting!

Jim
lefties

keep it up yanita,,soon the smell of them will be so nasty youll wonder why you ever did it.
Yanita

Hi everyone,

Well Linda I wished I could be as strong as you, but I am not.

I do not admit defeat but have had to approach this differently than others I guess.

This is definitely a mind game and one that I hope I win...I have changed the patch from 21 mg to 14mg. The 21 is to strong although I fit the amount of cigarettes required for that amount. Anyways I am using the 14 mg and have given myself permission to smoke 4 cigs a day. I find that "with" permission I really do not struggle mentally.

Yesterday I smoked less than 2 cigs and was fine. I do not smoke in the car and never really smoked anywhere in the home other than at the computer, that is off limits as well. Can only smoke outside.

I have many friends that smoke and I hang out with all of them. Over the weekend I had a few birthday parties to attend. I left my cigs at home and did not bum a drag from anyone! It also did not bother me to be around it. At one restaurant we sat in the smoking section, after awhile it really got to me, in a negative way..burned my eyes and throat. BUT, I did not leave wanting a smoke. The next time we sat in NON smoking and that was easier.

I have done alot of coughing and wheezing and seem to be out of breath more than I ever was. Not a good thing as I am a very active person! For you "Quitters" out there do you feel tired, I certainly do.

LOL, I have discovered that I really do not care for ketchup, it is really tart. It is amazing how different some foods taste. Thankfully the weight gain thing has stopped at only 2 lbs, LOL, I can handle that. I have vowed not to use food as a substitute for cigs...

Lefties, you are right about the smell. I never smoked in the master suite, but my son smokes in his room...next to mine. I can now smell it in my room and in the hall. I am sure it has always been that way but now I notice it. I have asked him to minimize his smoking in the home.

Audie, yup, misery likes company! Congrats on the cutting back of those beers. If pepsi was alcohol I would be drunk no latter than noon thirty every day!

Linda and Hubby, Glad to hear that your quitting is going well...I'll get there it just might take longer for me than you.

Thanks everyone for inquiring about us...helps keep our motivation up!

Now off to change my signature...

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefties

Yanita,
The metabloism drops about 10% when u stop smoking,,that may be why you feel tired.
Smoking is a stimulant.
Hang in there!!