GatorBite Fittings!!!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

shadow745

Just thought I'd share my experience with GatorBite fittings on a recent project. We live in a Crestline ranch style modular home that utilizes all PEX plumbing, brass fittings, metal valves, etc. Nothing cheap in other words. Recently I wanted to flush our water heater and noticed right away both gate valves at the water heater had the gates lock up and both stems broke while I attempted to do this. Didn't cause any leaks, just wouldn't open or close anymore, problem was both were stuck about 90% shut. BTW, I open/close all plumbing valves a few times yearly to help minimize this sort of problem.

The way the water heater is plumbed would normally require me to cut the PEX, go buy the necessary fittings/copper flex pipe/etc. and a PEX crimper to install new valves the way they were initially installed. While considering this I happen to walk by the GatorBite fitting section at Lowe's and noticed they had 3/4 ball valves with the GatorBite ends. I ended up buying 2 of them and the release tool in case I had to take them off for some reason. I also bought a pipe cutter that really made short work of cutting the old valves out of the PEX/copper flex piping a breeze. After I did the sizing/cutting I simply pushed each GatorBite valve in place and that was it.

I was a bit hesitant at first, but now believe these things are a great investment and a real time saver. I used these for the hot/cold side and we have a working pressure of 60psi and these fittings show NO signs of ever leaking. And if the valves ever wear out I can simply replace the valve itself and continue to use the same GatorBite fittings already in place. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
oldfart

Shadow like yourself I've come to like the new fittings. No special tools or crimps to buy..easy and fast to install. So far so good. And I ran Pex to the kitchen...ABOVE the floor and coupled it to cpvc with the new fittings. Shut-off valves are available that make connections fast and easy as well. If there's a downside it's that they ain't cheap but nither is copper today. For my hot water tank I used the black flexible rubber (?) lines...marked BrassCraft... (Lowes) coming off of cpvc fittings. I can rip that tank out in 3 min. flat! On the upside everything is above floor level so I can keep an eye on it. On the downside if it ever leaks and I'm not home....*&^)&*#@!&((%$#@)*$%!!!!!!! Audie..the Oldfart...:)
saxman14701

Had to replaced my water heater last year. Like most Mh owners I had never worked with PEX before, I was not happy to find out I would need a Pex crimper and that it might take a few tries to get things right especially working in a enclosed area. When I set out to the Home Depot to get the tools I came across an ad for SharkBites, just slide these on the end of pex, copper lines for an instant connection. I called my friend who is licensed plumber and he said never had a problem when he used them, and has never been called back because they failed. So I installed tank using them, quickest hook-up ever and to date still no leaks. These GatorBites sound like the same type of connector. I now felel working on MH plumbing just got a whole lot easier :D
Yanita

Hey folks,

I am going to move this to OFF TOPIC as it is more informative than repair at this time.

We do however appreciate feed back from newer products. So never hesitate to give us a consumer report... :D

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!