Identifying my MH

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

JayhawkFan

Hello all! If this topic has been covered before, please-direct me to the proper thread?? And if it hasn't, maybe someone has some suggestions??

Where do I look to find some sort of identifiers for my *vintage* MH?? It's purportedly a late 70's-early 80's model; and this old girl has been taken absolutely exquisite care of, over the span of her life! While it isn't the taj mahal, it's really nice for as old as it is. However, I can't even find a manufacturer plate on her! The folks I'm buying it from, bless their hearts, are wonderful people but a little ditzy-not sure where any info is. And, in this small very small town there's really no permit, registration, etc stuff available! So if anyone has some hints as to where to look on the house to find identifying information, I'd really appreciate it!

This forum is really cool, thanks all for the suggestions tips and advice I've already gained!
"I carried a watermelon!"
Greg

Hi & welcome. There MIGHT be a sticker somewhere inside. Check the master closet, or near the breaker box, sometimes near the water heater. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Are they the original owners? I would think that the info has to be on bank papers somewhere. The serial number is needed for purchase.

If this home has been sided over then the chances are the data plate might still be intact. Generally they are on the back corner, opposite end from the hitch.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dean3

On My singlewide I found some gen info on an old paper glued to the wall in the furnace "closet". mine is a 76 Hillcrest and the info was just to the left of the furnace. After 33 years it isn't totally legibles but some useable info was still there.

Dean
Johnny

also check in side the kitchen cabinets, on cabinets doors, the closets, bath room cabinets. on one home we found it on the panel inside of kitchen cabinet. the DW was on the door under the kitchen sink.

John
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
Dean3

Oh yeah,Jayhawkfan,always glad to help a fellow midwesterner,,My Dad is buried in KC MO,still have cousins there. I've been a Chiefs fan since Shep's great great grampaw was a pup!

Let us know if if Ya find the plate or sticker with the info.

Dean
JayhawkFan

Well, no luck yet on "naming" this home! I'll have to ask my landlords...as suggested, I'm sure the make/model must be on the owner's papers. Regardless, I'm crazy about my house&just love it! It sits on its own huge lot, so that's definitely a plus for me.

This forum is just awesome, I love it! I've got quite a laundry list of projects and suggestions from this board; I'm just itchin' to get started. Likely the kitchen will be the first project; very very small galley type space that is in dire need of BRIGHTENING!!! The cabinets are dark dark, the countertops are old 70's green...and the carpeting has GOT to go! ugh, I hate carpeted kitchens&baths. So, warming and brightening are definitely on the agenda! I'm going to get busy and take "before' pictures...

Thanks to everybody for posting on here!
Greg

Well it's starting to sound like you live in a '76 Jayhawk. Sounds good to me! Greg
JayhawkFan

Outside of the mentioning the icky green countertops-what leads you to the '76 conclusion? I'm curious! :D It's funny, the more I read on here the more fascinated I become with all the ins&outs of mobile homes.

Yeah they sure did not allow for much kitchen or dining in this place! Someone added a big closet that has a nice cabinet space at the backside of it, just inside the front door to the right; while I'm loving closet space, I can tell it's not original and I'm thinking we are going to just take it out in order to gain some kitchen/dining area. The laundry room is just off the kitchen (front kitchen), the back door goes out from the laundry room-which is separated from the dining space by a door and a (I guess it is!) diagonal wall. So many things to think about doing!!!! :D But we're lovin' it. This is a GREAT ol' girl!
Greg

Why '76? You said late 70's or 80's was your guess, so split the difference! 76 was the Bicentennial year also. Greg
JayhawkFan

And here I thought maybe you were psychic! :lol: I seeeee, now. Tried to get a picture to upload-but I'm going to have to learn more about this darn camera! Pic was too big. :oops: Besides-when I look at the pix and see that green, ugh. I think if the walls were something other than this odd shade of green (landlord must have gotten a bunch of that color on sale!) the countertops may be more acceptable; they are kinda cool, in a way! I LOVE "retro"!
Johnny

the serial no. bay be on the front of the frame or on the tongue some where.
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
kdmooch

do they have the title from when they bought it? should be on paper work
JayhawkFan

Being situated where I am has both blessings and curses. There is *not* the usual code requirements, etc in this small town. And, as far as property, the folks I'm buying from (on a great contract, I'll have my home paid for well before my motorcycle!) paid cash for it approximately 10 years ago. On the county's legal description-no identifying information about the home itself.

Oh well, that's perfectly fine by me, lol-I was curious as to the year&model, but I am very content with my "MH with no name". :o Every task or repair we've done so far has been quite easily accomplished using easily obtained materials, etc. So we're good! I appreciate everybody's advice! Thank you all.