Other great MH resources.

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

mrsq

I found this site as a link on some other message board and I have enjoyed reading old posts and have learned a great deal. I love home and garden things but it is rare to find things that apply to MH. It is so nice to see the opposite view of the people who look down on those of us who live in MH.
I did a search and did not find this topic so I hope it is not already been discussed. I was wondering about any other sites regarding MH living you might know of. This site for sure is my favorites from now on. I have done some searches and all I seem to find are sites selling MH, so I would love any other suggestions if you know of websites or peoples blogs about MH living/decorating.
Thanks
Greg

I am sure that there are other sites, but why bother? We are all family here, and when I say welcome to the family I do mean just that.
Take some time and look around some more, this site is (to quote Billy) H U G E!!! I can say in all honesy that I don't think there has ever been a problem that we as a family have not been able to solve. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Agree with Greg...we are the #1 MH Repair site. But if you want to see some other homes in a previous thread someone listed a few blogs...just look back a little.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mrsq

Thanks, I wasn't looking for another place- hope it did not come across in that manner. This site is great, I was just looking for more photos of homes for inspiration. If we ever find any land to move our home to we want to make it look like it belongs, rather the DW in field look we have right now. I have to admit mowing is a breeze though...don't have to avoid anything but the house:).
Thanks again.
Arlo

I'm with you. This is the best MH site and believe me I've looked. I also like to look at decorating sites. The only good place I've found is on HGTV.com . Go to "rate my space" and do a search on "Mobile home." There are tons of great houses. The website is maddeningly slow though. And I do have high speed internet.
Dean3

Hmmm,since the look of many DWs look much like a ranch style house that might be a search idea for Your browser,,"ranch style home landscape",or something of that nature.

To My mind trees pose a danger in storms but they do look nice in a yard and give shade too.. You don't have to go high-dollar but maybe study a bit of Frank Loyd Wright's houses and buildings,He did pretty well blending places with the local nature and used local resources too when He could,Most of His work was of a very grand scale but if an idea or two can work for Ya(scaled to Your house/environment)it will guarantee compliments. Maybe something a simple as local field rock for retaining walls or to demark a flower bed.

Dean
Harry

Hi mrsq

Yanita knows a lot about gardening.

We live in the boonies so Mother Nature takes care of our landscaping.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Arlo

Image[/img] This isn't mine but it's beautiful landscaping of a single wide. It was for sale on Craigslist so the image is public.
Yanita

Hey,

Thanks for the compliment Harry.

I would need to see a pic of the home and know the area before I could be of alot of help.

I personally like to decorate (landscape) with a few factors first.

I love to plant trees and for a 10.00 yearly donation I get mine from the National Arbor Assoc. Always research the typical growth of a tree...height and width allow a little more and plant that distance from your home. Trees are wonderful wind breaks and great to shade the home.

There are many smaller trees/large shrubs that can be planted closer to the home without effecting the foundation. Yearly pruning is sometimes needed.

Although the picture you posted is pretty it is typical of the way people plant...that straight line of plants following the skirting...to me that only empathizes the length of the home. To add depth and diminish that look the gardens to me should have some sort of curve in the front, and plantings from tallest to short. JMO, of course. This will add depth to your yard.

I am very cautious about what gets planted close to entry ways. Can a stranger locate a good hiding spot behind an over grown shrub?

I like thorny plants/shrubs under windows....although this home came with boxwoods.

Walkways, lighting, architectural elements like arbors, gazebos, pergola, trellis's make nice features and takes away from the boxiness of our homes. Water features big or small make great visual effects to your yard.

I like to start with perennials and work from there. I only add annuals for a splash of color between the blooms of the perennials.

Keep in in mind unless you have a very large budget for landscaping then this will become a very extended project. A little every year. Always invest in plants that are healthy. One gallon plants are smaller and cheaper than 3 gallons, give them a little time and they will soon grow.

Now as for interior decorating, I do not fixate on looking for only MH interior design...I LOOK AT EVERYTHING. There is nothing that can be done in a stick built that can not be done in a MH. You simply have to scale it down to size and on occasion weight!

When you decide what you want let me know..I might be able to give some help.

Yanita
Dean3

Wow! Yanita,Harry wasn't kidding was He?!?!

I don My Frank Lloyd Wright hat and bow to the master!! Ooops,spilled My beer when I bent to bow!

If'n I cud figger out how to post a pic I cud show Ya Frank's hat! LOL.

Dean
Yanita

Hey Dean,

I love to garden and have worked in several nursuries. LOL, and Hubby wants me to go to Interior Design school...nah not at my age.

Yanita
Dean3

Judging from Your pic Yanita You are somewhat younger than Me,,well,,My elder Sis(the one that is losing Her office job due to factory closing soon)is currently being urged to continue school by My Eldest Sis Who also continued Her own education at around 50yo or therebouts. Age is no barrier these days,of course if it's not what you want then You are 100% correct not to do it.

I have another elder Sis too,the youngest of the 3 elder girls,she started as secretary at Deere,put Herself through school while working full time and is now an engineer for Deere.

I doubt I talked Ya into anything here,just wanna say it can be done and I bet Ya could,if ya wanted.

Another note to the OP,,My Frank Lloyd Wright referance was meant only to convey that,when possible,making a building blend with the surroundings can be quite fetching/classy/beautiful,,on the other hand,if it is in a field,maybe an "oasis theme" of sorts could fit the bill. Sometimes contrast is as effective as continuity.

Dean
mrsq

Thanks for the posts ,advice and pics. I tried out rate my space,,,great pics but you were not kidding about it being slow! They really need to work on that!
If we ever get this place moved to our own land where we can landscape I will be sure to post a picture. I would love to find a place that had some mature trees...not near where the house is but on the property ..but at this point I will settle for any dirt in a safe area.
Thanks again.
DigitalDreams

I've been to that sign that says:

YOU HAVE REACHED
THE END OF THE INTERNET.
You will have to turn around.
Use your browser's BACK button to do so.
This is the final directory entry of the easternmost web server
located in the City of St. John's, Newfoundland [circled].
The Internet's fiber optic junction nodes [drawn in orange]
of North America all have ingoing/outgoing limbs
numbering more than one. Except for Newfoundland.
You can find out all kinds of neat stuff about Newfoundland
on the internet. But not here, because you've reached the end.
Sorry.

And have found no mobile home site with nicer people, more good information and better content![/img]
Jim from Canada

Haven't found any better site in the 5+ yrs. I have been a member here. Has it been that long already?!

Jim