"Ten Commandments" for a responsible pet parent

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

texasprairierose

Since Mark is getting a new pet, I thought he and other pet owners would enjoy this. This was in a newsletter from PetsMart and is told from the pet's perspective.

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.

3. Place your trust in me; it is crucial for my well being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I only have you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too, will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there.

REMEMBER, I LOVE YOU
Mark
Site Admin

When watching the training videos we bought, at no time does it say to hit or even yell at the animal. They preach ignore or walk away if its doing something bad, as animals hate it when they don't get your attention and will soon figure out why. I bet that's a different training approach than what was taught years ago. Soon enough we'll be able to 'try' and practice what we're being taught.

Perhaps the same can be said about our kids. Use to be OK to spank them. Try spanking now and you about get thrown in jail!

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
WildIrish

I'll add an eleventh commandment:

11. Thou shalt spay or neuter me!! :)
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]