Do you smoke...?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Dean3

DigitalDreams,bottom post at this link has what looks to be a recipe of sorts,

http://www.coffinails.com/forums/?board ... 1042471403

looks like it starts after the leaf of choice has been dried and cured and then omits shredding and such,,sorta like the middle of the recipe. The website has a kinda ominous name but I bet a guy might find/filter some info by exploring it. It keeps showing up in tobacco search results anyhow.

Dean
Dean3

15 pages into the search and didn't find all that much for Ya Digital;

http://tribes.tribe.net/tobaccopatch/th ... 696c8a6631
DigitalDreams

Thanks for the links Dean sounds like a good reason to build a greenhouse.
I can grow organic veggys and tabacy what a combo.

And when its done I'll know its organic too cause the jack flavoring will be real jack.
Dean3

That does sound like a good combo Digital, assuming the jack is applejack. In Our area the greenhouse should give You a much longer season and Your tobacco might produce more per plant.I read that a plant can live a few years.

My Son told Me tonight that His GF's uncle or some such person was saying that growing tobacco is illegal cause each state get quotas or some dang thing. Soooo,just for good measure I did another long search and found nothing that says I can't grow it small scale,,the thing I *can't* legally do is *sell* tobacco without a permit. Heck,I dunno if I should be more worried about vandals and thieves or the "tobacco brigade"!!

I better snooze,,hoping for a call of work tomorrow.

Dean
Dean3

Dean3

Success! I can see the tiny little seedlings sprouting! Test flat 1 went well so far,,pretty fast too according to what I've read.

Had to look very close to see them,actually I was looking at the little gold colored flakes in the potting soil trying to guess what it was when I saw green! 6 days after sowing on top and keeping moist(not sopping,spritzed often)up they rise!!.

Some advice says to germinate tobacco in the dark(cabinet),some says in the light. I used a southern window and sometimes a clear cover,sometimes no cover. Kept room temp above 70F too.

Dean
DigitalDreams

Or just move to cuba and pick it in road ditch and save heat and work
Dean3

Cuba?! Hmmm,I might go.. Are the chicks there anything like the crazy Puerto Rican lady I dated long ago?! Ditch baccy and crazy dark haired chicks are incentive to Me. Maybe The Tobacco Farmer's Daughter!?! :D

Dean
sd0321

Guess I don't really want to start a new thread about "ex's".

But late Saturday night/early Sunday morning when I wrote that? I had a great birthday spent with my youngest daughter...except for the fact that her father (the ex) was in the hospital.

TIA, mini stroke, doctors aren't sure yet....his girlfriend didn't think it was a big deal....I think it is. If a person suddenly isn't making sense of anything that is being said to them and cannot even remember how to clock out at work, something isn't right. I stopped in at the hospital to see him, and he looked 5 years older than he did two weeks ago.

Called him after that when girlfriend wasn't there. He is stressed about trying to get moved in with her before the first of April, stressed about the new job (promotion) he had applied for and interviewed for.... he said it's more money, but he know's it will be more stress...I said the same thing I would have said had we still been together, or that I would say to any good friend...weigh it out...is more money worth more stress? If not, heck with the job!

But he got it, and accepted it. And why do I give a hoot? He is my childrens father. May have had a few fantasies since we split up about him dropping dead...but in reality, I don't want anything bad to happen to him, I want him to be there for our children. And as far as smoking? He was diagnosed with COPD six months ago, and told to STOP SMOKING...and now? Cholesterol levels WAY over what is too high....told to take something for that and STOP SMOKING!!!!

And stress just isn't from negative things like death, or job loss, or divorce....it can come from positive things as well, like getting married or having a baby or getting a new job....any change can be stressful....

And stress takes it's toll on your health.... anyway, tonight I didn't feel like going out of my way to buy cigarettes, and paid the price by paying $8.66 for two packs of Sonoma Ultra Lights 100's.....better stop worrying about the ex and get back to the price of tobacco! :? Sherry
oldfart

Well folks sorry for bein' out of touch but it's been a busy few weeks. Lots of little projects goin' on. Now, to the point. For all you rollers&new rollers out there I figgered out something. You can vacume-pack tobacco! Yup, dump it into one of them gallon Vac-Pack bags and seal it up on yer vac-pack machine. I chucked a few bags in the freezer just to see how long it'll hold up. Without vac-packin' it'll dry out in due time. Also..you kin roll up a few hunnerd and drop them in a qt. vac-bag and do the same! Depending on how soon ya use them it might not even be needed to freeze them. Cool eh! Now..noticed on Sat. that the price of tubes are going up $1 a box also so it might pay to pick up a few boxes and stash them away as well. One final note..noticed on the news on Fri. that some talking head..aka. news anchor stated that The Evil One was "considering" a new Fed Tax on tobacco. Hmmmmm..??? How come we here at Mobile Home knew about it on Feb. 16th. and he is "just now considering it." I smell..horse++++! Audie..the Oldfart....
oldfart

Dean glad to hear the homegrown is coming along. Keep us posted..who knows I might have to borry the neighbors tiller! :) Yanita..glad to hear yer tryin' to quit. It's a nasty health-robbing and expensive habit. I wish I could get more folks to quit!!! Once demand drops enough they'd git cheaper! HAW!HAW!HAW! Seriously..good for you. Now I did quit for 4 years ('89 to '93) and lemme tell you a few tricks you probably already know. Try to avoid doing those things that make ya crave a smoke. For example...instead of coffee in the morning have a V-8 instead. Cigs don't taste good with V-8 juice..go figger? Or try tea instead of coffee. Yeah...I know...I can't get a pulse without my coffee either. Well, how about giving up beer? Beer and smokes go together...try a glass of milk instead. Milk and cigs don't go together worth a hoot! So saying...anything that makes you crave a smoke..avoid it! (giggle...) Don't tell hubby I said anything!! Audie the Oldfart...ROTFLMBO....
Dean3

Audie,thanks. there is an amendment to My seedlings tho. My 1st test flat is 1/2 Virginia Gold and 1/2 Golden Seal Special,,,the VA Gold side(24 cells worth)has not sprouted,,bummer.. Dunno what I was thinkin when I used the only 2 small packs of different seeds for a test flat!,I shoulda saved em for after I had some practice.The remainder of seeds on order are TA16 Burley..The good news is I think the GSS is also a Burley variety and *if* flat 1 is any indication the Burley sprouts well..

After the slight spring modification My new Top-o-matic is doing well(knock wood),nice cigs and all. I don't think I'm gonna get 3 cartons from this 1lb of baccy tho,maybe 2 1/2. I should sit down and stuff tube till a full lb bag is done all at once to see for sure. I drop the completed cig into an empty tube box and that fits into an empty 1lb baccy bag,zip it shut and store it,handy idea. I plan to see if 2 boxes will fit in one bag or not,zipped into close proximity they might stay fresher for long storage.

I have wanted a vacuum packer for a long time,that's a good idea Ya got,,,prolly gotta be darn careful not to run it too long and crush the cigs tho huh? The vac pac would also work for garden grown veggies if I switch from baccy sometime,,heck it would work for just about anything perishable!

Dean
Dean3

Amendment #2;; The VA Gold has finally started to grminate! I see only 4 that are obvious tho,must be a slow starter. I doubt I will put 2 varieties in 1 tray again.

With 3 varieties total I will put 1 of each in a remote place to let it flower and go to seed for next year,it seems that helps to aclimate plants and next year's will be better.

I'm getting low on time to do seedlings,they need time inside,hardenning off, and need to be 6" tall(give or take)to transplant. Since the cells in the flats are so small I may use them for something else and get some big/cheap picnic glasses for the rest that I want to keep,then,sow the other seeds on top of a 16"x8' box to give to friends..This weekend is devoted to "green thumbin",,preparing flats,preparing makeshift seedling box,sowing seed,and,maybe getting some veggie seed so try tomatoes and such.Was gonna wait till next year for veggies but now I "got the fever"!

There will be a gap between the tobacco row and the skirting,,,am considering black plastic bact there to kill the grass and weeds to minimize tending cause I will be on the road a little this summer. The plastic will also cahnnel some water to the garden row I think.

Should I move this post to a different section like landscaping?

Dean
Harry

Hi Yanita

How bout an update. Lots of folks pulling for you.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Dean3