Already repaired

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Dean3

Well My water froze last night. I woke this morning to dry sinks and the toilet wouldn't refill,never checked the shower,no need to really. Somehow I forgot to leave a sink dripping! :roll: I have no problems with drains freezing here so I let water drip when below zero F. I realize that action is NOT ADVISED.

I flipped the heat tape's dedicated breaker to "on". The water was running in less than 1/2 hour. In the meantime I used some water I had to make coffee :D ,at least I was ready for that!.

After I sealed the WH door I have no reason to think anything freezes other than the main feed between the ground and entry point,the home used to sit up on the ridge,with bad skirting,leaky WH door,in constant wind,and the pipes by the WH would show frost!

Down here in "The Bowl" I have some wind protection,new skirting,and recently(3 years)wrapped and heat taped main water feed. I'm feeling Muuuuch better now! :) 8) No more fighting to thaw frozen feedline,just flip the breaker and open a faucet,then wait. Not as good as having to do nothing but far better than it was in the past.

Dean
Yanita

Hi Dean,

Glad your fixed, LOL.

But, I have to ask, why turn on the heat tape after your froze, opposed to turning it on to prevent freeze ups? You, know preventative measures.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dean3

I'm not "fixed" Ya little rapscallion You! Geez Louise,what a thing to say! LOL,,sounds like I'm the family great dane or sumthin! LOL.

Well doing as You suggest would be far too sensible for Me heh heh,and too costly considering the amount of time We have been under zero F. Letting the water drip keeps it flowing *if* I don't mess up and forget,wich is rare. If I leave for a week then I turn the tape on and lock the joint up.

My method does require some monitoring of temps and temp forcasts but it works. I'm rarely gone for more than 8hrs on a given winter day so monitoring is no prob. It isn't a walk-away-forget-it system but with the flip of a switch it can be,I like that option.

Everybody has some kind of quirk,seems that I got everybody's quirks! must have just absorbed them all over the years.LOL. Makes life entertaining.

Dean
Dean3

Oops,,use meaning 2 for rapscallion!

"2: one who is playfully mischievous"

Meaning 1 is just not what I meant. It is too harsh.

Dean
Yanita

ROFLMBO...

I didn't mean to make it sound like "you" were fixed, but after reading my post again guess it looks that way. LOL...

Anyways, whatever works for you, personally I am into preventative maintenance. My logic is kind of like this...Hubby is plumber..I know what hourly rates are on froze pipes, and replacement of those pipes vs. a few kilowatt hours...guess I will leave ours in the on mode. Thankfully we do have a thermostatically controlled one. Living here in NC we do not need it all winter.

Today was a balmy 70*, last week was 8 inches of snow...gotta love the south! Right now the wind is howling, severe weather notice on tv for high, damaging winds....

Your right, everyone has little quirks..some of us more than others. I am sure I have several, BUT, LOL, I am not letting my Hubby respond to this thread!

Have a good night...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dean3

ARF ARF snip YIP! ("YIP" is dogspeak for "Oh hohohooooo noooooo!")

I'm pretty sure my tape has thermostat too,near the end with the cord/plug. What I don't remember is the brand or what the package said about the temp it would turn on at,or if it said at all.

Snow then 70* sounds alot like Spring up here,,,wish it were so,the shine is wearin off this Winter.

I dunno if keeping One's quirks a secret exemplifies another quirk or not..?. :) Not knowing will probably bother the heck outa My OCD quirk forever! LOL.

OCDean