Digital antenna

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Dean3

New questions for Ya digitaldreams;

I have 2 kinds of RG6 here but can't find complete info for both.

1st = 69B2 RG6 High Performance 3.0 GHZ Digital Cable 18AWG
http://www.eagleaspen.com/products/links/69B2.pdf

2nd = Vextra RG6 CU 3,000 MHZ

Looks to be basically the same to Me other than the 1st is double line and 2nd single line. My question is,,does one or the other have less signal loss?

Another question for the double line(69B2),,,,it has a ground wire on one line,would/could that be used to hook up a rotor in the future?

The 69B2 cable is here from the former dual satelite service.

I see there is ultra low loss cable on the market but it is $1.50 per foot. This could be used to run to an in-wall outlet and a shorter RG6 used from there,,but then,,how much loss does the outlet create? LOL,,such detail here on the fringe!

Dean
DigitalDreams

Run the 6982 from the old satellite setup the other stuff is not for tv signal and will react differently I had a guy call me out one time cause his signal was really ghosting on all channels and we discovered that he was a IBM employee who had brought home some rg6 digital cable and it is 90 ohm per foot where 6982 tv coaxial is 75 ohm per foot which is what all tv amplifiers and antennas are based on.
DigitalDreams

Excuse me I meant the 69B2 and the copper out side wire is not a ground per say unless you are using it to cross a span in the air, the portion called the grounded messenger is the coaxial version of
the steel cable they wrap cable lines to in cable operations that go pole to pole. It would be good wire tho if you want to put your antenna a ways from the house on a pole and run it aerial to the house and keep the second run as a back up for later use.
Mark
Site Admin

I've improved my analog signal a bit by connecting my rabbit ears to the metal gridwork of my suspended ceiling. I wonder if I'm picking up high power or low power analog signals? One tv station says it isn't required to stop sending out low power analog signals. I guess we'll find out in June. my rabbit ears
You can't fail if you don't try!
DigitalDreams

Actually outlets can be no loss as long as you use what is called a terminator on the unused ones,your biggest loss is on splitters and due to amp noise however .

I researched the channels in my area and all but one has went to the uhf band for the digital transition , even a really old one that was on 5 has moved to 50 uhf so I would look at the list of new assignment frequencys and if most are in uhf band spend most of my money on a really decent uhf antenna and amp.

And don't get in a real hurry to get them all cause they had a article in one of our local newspapers here about our channel 3 that went to 36 uhf for the digital and the fcc after the transition is allowing them to go from 200,000 watts of power to 800,000 watts.

They will actually be able to get out furthur than they could before cause digital can discriminate between channels better than analog tuners and they won't have worry about bleeding into another channel 3 out of their broadcast range because of skip.

Some of your locals out there may do the same after the change over and they are no longer doing analog too ,two of our local stations in Rochester,Minnesota changed to totally digital at the original set date as they were ready and because their transmitter is 30 miles away from the station it was gonna take 3 hours of the air to get switched and they had already not sold air time for the original date and time so rather than lose money again they said we've been telling everyone for two years it's coming and here it is.
DigitalDreams

Mark cool idea and if it works run with it ,they say necessity is the mother of invention(tweak it and maybe you can make a million selling whole house suspended ceiling antenna's.
Dean3

Digitaldreams; I'm glad You mentioned the transmission power issue,I've been wondering about that. I also wonder why reception drops off the digital cliff from about 9:30AM till about 6:30PM,,I only get 1 digital station during that time. They wouldn't lower power during those hours would they? Or is it just "noisy airwaves" during the daylight?

I'm not going to make any changes to My antenna till later,raising it is delayed for now.I might go ahead and change to the better cable tho,it sure sounds like every little bit helps with digital signal and I have it here already.

Mark; LOL,cool! If it works,do it! Years ago We were staying every other night in a new farmhouse We were working on,it was in a valley in WI and the Boss's 13" portable tv got nuthin,,well I was goin buggy from no tv so I twisted together some lengths of copper wire till it reached the barbwire fence,,We had tv then!

Dean