Drywall from China Problems Down Here

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Harry

Reports of problems growing:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28620905/

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

Kudos to Lennar Corp for stepping up. As for products from China, I am leary of all of them any more. I am not sure they are ready for prime time.

Thanks for bringing up this article Harry. This metal corrosion problem can be a very serious and dangerous problem. Many people in the hurricane areas (and maybe others) could have this gyp board. The fact that the Chinese green board did not have the approved certification stamp will leave the builders liable.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Unfortunatly this is another case that it will be hard to point a finger. If you as a contractor deal with good wholesalers you have to trust them. How many people would question Home Depot or Lowes?

There as a similar problem a few years back with counterfit bolts from overseas. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Actually, the builder is responsible for assuring that the gyp board and other materials meet and are stamped with ASTM standards when applicable. All materials, fixtures and appliances must be certified appropriately. I am not saying that the builders intentionally used sub-standard materials, though I do not doubt that some did. But that is the legal end of the road in this situation. The builder may be able to sue the supplier, but it is still the builder's responsibility to provide approved/stamped materials.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.