Contraptioneer!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Busybee1952

Hi everyone!
I haven't visited in awhile but thought I would share something kinda special. There's a new man in my life and for those who know me from this site, I have to tell you that he's my twin soul in more ways than I can count. As you know, I like to "McGuyver" but I have met the master "McGuyver" In the past 8 months, he has built me an electric spinning wheel, a yarn winder, a loom with heddles made from flattened coat hangers, chain saw carved planters, and too much more to name. I wanted to make him something so I made him this hat out of recycled blue jeans and embroidered a logo on the front for him that names him aptly as "Contraptioneer".Image
If anyone ever wants to visit me, I'm on myspace and facebook as [email protected]
Wishing everyone a very happy and safe Thanksgiving!
Pat
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Harry

Hi

Sounds like a match made in heaven!

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Busybee1952

Yeah, can you imagine two McGuyver types living under the same roof? It's fun, interesting, and maybe even scary to visitors! LOL Figured I might as well post some photos of some of the things Ron has made. Maybe someone else needs some ideas. Feel free to e-mail me with questions.
Pat
This is Ron's homemade tofu press
This is the fence constructed from small trees from the propertyImage
This is the leaf shredder made from the old pump that froze up, a lawnmower blade, and old barrel. It works great!
This is a yarn winder which is for winding the handspun yarn off of the electric spinner into skeins.
This is Ron's homemade loom with heddles made from flattened coathangers. He is explaining how it is used to some friends.
This is a planter cut with the chainsaw.
Another planter cut with the chainsaw.
The electric spinner is really just a glorified drop spindle using the sewing machine motor to electrify it. The front brass piece is from an old wall sconce.
This thing works twice as fast as a drop spindle. Maybe this winter he can build me a real spinning wheel.
We were lucky enough to get about 200 lbs of apples this year but making them into sauce is a lot of work so Ron contraptioned this apple peeler.
Last edited by Busybee1952 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Jim from Canada

congrats on your find, have a blast building (literally) your life together. I like his work!

Jim
eshm

The work on the tree trunk is epic.
Busybee1952

Here is the 10 cord woodshed made from pallets that was just finished.Image

What a wonderful replacement for what I used to have!
WildIrish

Can I borrow him for a few days? Pretty please?? He is so talented as a builder!!
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]
Busybee1952

Being an oportunist is part of the talent of taking stuff and turning it into an asset. Ron's reaction to your post was "How much?" LOL So apparently, he is willing to be hired out.
WildIrish

If I lived closer to Michigan, I'd take him up on this, LOL!

I've made a few little contraptions in my time, but nothing on this scale. He's a real wiz with a wrench...and a chain saw!
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]
oldfart

Busybee.....M'am your post made me think back on the last 3 years of my own life and reflect on some things. I was at that stage of my life when "I'd had just about enough!". Life was simpler just being a hard hearted old hermit...and I was happy. Or so I thought. I was a crusty ole man..no cares and no one to answer to. I did what I wanted... when I wanted....harrumph! I figgered everyone could just k.m.a. and life was simple. And then my Contraptioneer came along. She didn't build me a loom..nor try and change my life. She saw the warts and accepted them. She saw my vices..and my possible (???) virtues. She worked hard and without my knowlege...as wimminfolks often do..and caused a change in my life. And I am the better man for it I must admit. Now, rest assured, I do sometimes miss my old ways! But looking back over the last 3 years...I wouldn't trade a single moment of it. She came along just when I needed her most. Call it Providence.....or luck. Who knows? Someday I must tell you the story of Old Roy an Mz. Lizzie. Audie..the Oldfart....