Thinking about Buying our First MH

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Gladey

So this is my first time posting here, though I've been skulking around for a few weeks.
My husband an I have a few acres of land and are thinking of buying a small DW MH in the Spring. We've been to all of the MH dealers in our area (more than once), and walked through tons! The brands available in our area seem to be Clayton, Fleetwood, Redman, and Skyline. We really like the Skylines, though the Redman's seem to be fairly sturdy, too.
What should we look for in a dealer? I don't know if we're allowed to talk about specific brands here, but what do you think of the different manufacturers I listed above? Do you have any experience with them?
Any advice for a first-time buyer is welcome!
Greg

Hi & Welcome. Feel free to name names. Many makes are regional, but I believe the ones you named are national.
Look in "sticky posts" in the repair section of the forum. Yanita put together a list of things to look for when buying a home. In addition do your homework and research before going to the dealer.
At the dealer don't be afraid to act clueless and see where they try to steer you, that will show the dealer's integrity. If a dealer has "just what you need" without asking any questions, turn and run! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site. You did not say if you are buying used or new.

To me it is not always about the manufacturer name, although some are better than others. As Greg said you are free to mention brand names, but we do not really make it a point to bash one brand over another.

If you are buying used, then yes, I wrote an article in the stickies that is a guide only in purchasing a used home.

Personally if you are buying new there are a few things I might recommend. Make sure the roof has an over hang, gutters, traditional doors, double paned windows, but not those traditional aluminium framed MH windows. Thickness of studs, trusses and floor joist. What type of sub floor is there? Get extra insulation if possible.

If you are financing another thought is...when you buy these homes IF you get one complete with all appliances, micro, stove, fridge, washer and dryer you will be charged probably more than they are worth, including furniture. This will be added to your mortgage cost...do you really want to pay for these items for 30 years or the term of your mortgage????

Look at quality, not pretty! Oh, and if I was going to buy a NEW home I think my first choice would be a Palm Harbour.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

I mentioned the list because it does give you some things to think about and look for when looking at new homes, I have seen some older homes that were in better shape than new ones. Greg
Harry

Hi

I'm big on the roof overhang and plywood floors.

I like Yanita's ideas on the appliances.

To me the installation is really really important. Each new home has an installation manual. Make sure you get it and the installers follow it.

Good luck to ya.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Gladey

Yes, we are looking at new MH. We also looked at a few Colony homes today and really loved the floorplan of one (huge utility room, and we're muddy-boot people). They also have the 2x6 sidewall framing and 3/4" decking subfloor.
We aren't looking at ones that include washer/dryer and microwave (we have those already and they work just fine!). We're hoping for a 20 year mortgage, so it would be paid off before my husband retires.
I've looked at Palm Harbor's online, but I think they only sell in the south east, and we're in WV. Yanita, where about in NC are you? I was raised in Currituck Co.
tnt17

Gladey,
I think your closes P.H dealer is in Ohio.

Palm Harbor Homes

3100 Maysville Pike
Zanesville, OH 43701
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
Gladey

Thanks! I think the Palm Harbors are a little out of our price range, though.
Greg

If it helps any, read my post on customer service. Also, if possible get any design/build prints you can get your hands on they can be worth their weight in gold down the line. Greg
Gladey

I just read your post, Greg, and that bodes very well. They definitely seem like a step down from the Skylines, but still feel pretty sturdy. We're looking at a 26'8" x 48'.
http://www.commodorehomes.com/colony.fa ... ame=A3138A
Only we wouldn't get the front gable.
Gladey

We would also be getting 200 amp service and a few other upgrades.
lefties

not thrilled with my 97 commodore,,its ok but much cheap stuff. Floors are particle board,,cheap windows. Cheap trim.
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Greg

You need to remember that there are LOTS of options & upgrades to most models. If a dealer orders a home for stock they are likely to try to keep the price down and skimp on the options.
If you have have not seen the list, there are choices for about everything in the home. Floor plans, floor types & colors, wall colors for every room, Heat & Electrical options, Windows, just to name some of the basic interior stuff. Then you have the outside..... Greg
Gladey

We're leaning back towards the Skylines. It's hard to think about getting another brand after being in a few Skylines. We'll see what happens in the Spring!