Any Ideas? (Flys)

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

preppypyro

Here's something that has stumped me.

After we installed house wrap and installed new vinyl siding on our home, we have been getting flys like crazy on the inside.

We use raid, and fly strips and stuff like that, but why just after installing the new siding, are they invading the inside?!

When we installed the siding, we plugged all holes, and patched everything that we could, I'm not really sure how they are all getting inside.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Advice?
Dirty White Boy

What kind of flies? Fruit flies could come from the drain, house flies could be from underneath your appliances...
Greg

It is possible that they were living in the walls and by using the wrap & new siding you sealed them in. I would try using a few "bug bombs". remember to turn off ALL pilot lights before setting them off or you literaly do have a bomb. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Guys,

Since this is not a repair question I am going to move it to the Off Topic forum...please follow there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
preppypyro

My bad, I guess I just put it in the other section to try and REPAIR the problem haha :D

Now that it is in the right section, the flys are house flies, and we clean under all the appliances, except the dishwasher, regularily. My woman is a clean freak, and I would say she sweeps twice a week under the appliances, and washes once a week.

It also seems like the dam flies only come out when its hot, when its cool the home is fly free.

At first i thought the same thing you did Greg, but we have sided probably a month and a half ago I would have figured they would have been killed off or whatever by now.

Since this problem started right after we wrapped the home, it does seem that is the likely culprit.

We onlyhave electric appliances in our home, and I will look into the bug bomb.
Yanita

Hi,

Not that this will help, but I find that I get flies when the outside temps start to cool off as the wall/winter season approaches. I have all new windows and doors and nothing is left open...maybe they ride in on my coat tails...

LOL, this is more of a pest control issue than repair... :D

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Claudia

We got a lot of flys a few months ago. I think there is a season for them here in NC. Not one would go near a fly strip. Those things look horrible hanging in the kitchen.

The only way we could get rid of them was to wage war with the swatters! My chihuahua hates any sign of aggression and would have a fit barking every time we were swatting flys. It was kind of funny.