Hurricane Gustav

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Harry

Hi

Looks like Gustav will make landfall as a CAT 3.

Sure hope everyone will obey the evacuation order when it goes up.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hey Harry,

I was reading some post from women on another forum I also participate in...seems like the stores are already devoid of necessary items...water, bread etc.

Must of heard it on the news but I guess FEMA and orthers are already in place for the storm.

BUT, like you said hope everyone is getting out. I sure hate it for them!

We finally got some rain, a fair amount from the TS that finished out this way.

Glad you and family are safe from that!

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
tnt17

New Orleans right in it's path.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... y#contents

And as for Hannah...she's looking towards the Carolina's if stays steered west to northwest.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... y#contents

But i got a feeling come Tuesday, Hannah takes a south jog towards the islands then back up over southern Florida.
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
tnt17

Yanita wrote:Hey Harry,

I was reading some post from women on another forum I also participate in...seems like the satores are already devoid of necessary items...water, bread etc.

Must of heard it on the news but I guess FEMA and orthers are already in place for the storm.

BUT, like you said hope everyone is getting out. I sure hate it for them!

We finally got some rain, a fair amount from the TS that finished out this way.

Glad you and family are safe from that!

Yanita
Yanita,
Check out these totals!
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/localdat/fa ... l_pns.html

I think your more toward Wilmington but North GA and the western N.C mountains, up to 10-15 inches! sure you heard about the double mud slide we had up in Lake Lure @ the beach and restaraunt.

Here's pics from our area early Tuesday of the funnel dropping (one that hit near Clemson university)

Harry

Hi

Yep I think the evac order will go up today.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Scary as hell, not sure how I would react to that...I do know that panic comes to mind!

I really do not get alarmed with cat 3 or smaller storms, I go into survival mode and get everything straight long before the storm hits. I do however worry about the tornados. BUT, I do not live near the water, or at least directly.

I am not ina flood zone, although some maps say I do, seems it depends on what map you look at. During our major flood in 99 this home was not flooded!

I remind myself that this home has stood here for many years without hurricane/flood damage. Our area does have a hard time with excessive rain fall as our water tables are very high.

I live in Greenville, NC area, not far from the Pamlico sound area. We are prone to alot of storm surge.

Have been watching both storms and not sure what weather station you are following but the National weather shows Hannah as taking a sharp turn towards the islands, not the states. None the less worth keeping a watch on it, anything can happen and generally does.

Gotta go, furkids need to go to the vet!

Yanita
tnt17

Once Hannah gets over the islands though, the stream should take it towards Texas or back north to the Florida panhandle.

Greg

It just dawned on me that rickd, our resident "Hurricane guy" is MIA this year. anyone heard from him?? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Greg,

No I have not heard from Rick in a very long time. Awhile back I checked the registrations and he does have one for this site.

Remember he sold one home and then bought that huge triple wide. If I remember correctly he does alot of traveling...think it is a teaching job, military or possibly a combination.

Maybe Mark has heard from him...

Yanita
Greg

For those that didn't know him Rick's hobby is tracking & forcasting hurricanes and their tracks. I think he had a better record than the hurricane center.
He was in Katerina's path in Alabama and did suffer damage to his home. I know after the hurricane he spent months doing repairs to his and some of his families homes.
Rick, if you are out there time to check in. Greg
tnt17

Sounds like my long lost brother! I tell my kids/parents on my 3 soccer teams i coach and with my job as safety director come game days weather is my priority job....real job comes last. I did have a brief work history with the FAA in Montana doing weather work, graveyard shift. Loved the weather balloons, releasing them into the air!
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
Greg

Another Soccer coach?? We almost have our own coaching staff here. Greg
tnt17

Greg wrote:Another Soccer coach?? We almost have our own coaching staff here. Greg
Yes, AYSO most my life, played 15 years in California before playing select/ODP in Washington state.

Now it's the kids turn...i still love playing adult league, but most of my time goes to coaching 3 teams, U-8 up to U-14. Then being tournament director ties up my rest of 'free time'. But going to Florida/Tenn/Alabama/Georgia has been fun.
tnt17

Hannah's turn to the north after Tuesday or so. Thursday heads towards Nassau then possibly a west to northwest turn towards Miami and over the warm water. Or a faint easternly flow could keep it along a ridge up the FLA coast towards Jacksonville.

Gustav looks to be a 1 to 3pm landfall in Louisana still.

tnt17

Updated model shows Hannah hugging the eastern coast of Fla...hopefully stays that way and the typical heavy rain/winds northeast part of the system stays off shore.