cost for electric for doublewide mobile home

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

betty_joanne

Just wondering what the normal cost would be to run electric in the summer in south texas or somewhere else w/ sim climate in a doublewide mobile home. 1967 sq. feet.
We only have electric and between the doublewide, the septic and the well last months bill was $388 and this months was $457. Does this sound about right?

We run the a/c at 80 during the day and 79 at night.
Harry

Hi betty_joanne

I think our weather is simular.

Our highest bill this summer has been $160.

Family of 2 with occasional company.

Our MH is a DW.

Thermostat is set to 80.

100% electric.

6 good ceiling fans.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

We live in Nc, triple degree heat and very high humidity. The home gets hit with full sun after noon until dark. The home is approx 1560 sq. feet.

My home is also electric, except for the gas pack. But that also requires electricity in the heat mode. BUT, there are several factors you should consider before comparing cost with others. First being what is your utility company charging per kilowatt hour.

Also have you check your home for potential air leaks, what does your home have for insulation, windows, doors. What type of ac/heat unit are you using and more importantly are you having it serviced twice a year and are you regularly changing the filters.

My home has new doors/windows and a new gas pack. All energy efficient appliances as well. I still play the curatin game on triple degree days, closing whichever blinds needed to block more sunlight. All light bulbs are those new ones..huh, forget what they are called, but they are energy savers as well.

I leave the AC set on 77 regardless if I am home or at work, personally I see no difference in the bill. When I leave for vacas yes I do turn it up/down during that time frame.

I run a swimming pool pump all summer and a water garden pump, this is your typical basement style sump pump...average bill this summer has been around $175.00.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Yanita is correct...all power company rates are not equal.

Currently my Avg KWh Rate is $.1082

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
tnt17

Upstate S.C, high's 90-100 during the peak afternoon (after 1pm sun is hottest bearing down on the house) and 70ish overnight.
2200sq feet, family of 5 (with 1 on the way).
Keep thermostat at 74. Last summer's power bill was $230 July/$260 August and $290 September (bill represents previous 30 days).
This year i did 'levelized' billing, so it's the same or close to the same each month. It's been $190 average. But really that would amount to $120 to $140 in the winter, $90 to $120 spring/fall and $220 and up in summer still.
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
betty_joanne

Energy rate is .2090 and for the july bill we used 1787 kwh. We have just now moved over to a .14 energy rate on a 2 year plan.
I think that the well and septic alone run about $128 per month in electricity.
We only have one energy efficient window in the home. Husband wants to take out the single panes we just had put in and get all new windows. I want to just get solar screens and put them over the single panes. We do not have an oven but we do have a washer and dryer and fridge. The a/c unit is brand new as of 2 months ago. water heater is brand new. We are running 4 fans all the time. The only thing that i can think of is that we don't have insulation and belly material on about 20% of the homes underside. Dh hasn't gotten around to it and i guess it is a two person job(I am inside w/ the toddler and 3 wk old so i can't really help that much). we also dont have any skirting.
Harry

Hi

Your well and septic is high. I wonder why.

My water heater is set on its lowest setting and I put an insulation blanket around it.

I am on my own septic tank also but mine is below the ground...no pump and motor to worry about.

I am all single pane windows at this time.

Harry
DavidW

Life Without A/C In The South:

This year, I decided to go without using the A/C in either of my homes. The Upcountry of S.C. does get up into the 90's and sometimes 100. I'm at about 1,000 above sea level.

Both homes are equipped with wells and are both all electric.

My electric bill has been from $24.00 per month to a high of $34.00 at the larger home this year. I used to run the thermostat at 75 in the summer. The worst bill was $162.00 for the A/C last summer at the larger home (approx. 1600 sq. feet).

This year, I only turned the systems on for one hour in mid-July, just to make sure everything was still working.

Even though both a/c's work at both homes, I tried going with A/C. It was a cultural, political, environmental and financial decision. (Mostly cultural).

So far this year I have not spent approx. $600.00 on electric bills that I did last year.

I have to report (now that the worst of the hot weather is over for this year) that it wasn't that bad.

I used one 20" box fan at night, exhausting the hot air inside while an open window, diagonally on the opposite side would allow cool air to be drawn in and displace the hot/warm air.

Night time temps were really nice this summer: upper 60's mostly.
By morning, the inside temp had dropped to only five degrees above outside temperature. So if it got down to 69 degrees over night outside, the inside temp would be 74 at sunrise.

As soon as the morning sun hit the windows, I would turn the fan off and close them, thus capturing the 74 degree air inside. With good insulation, the house stays reasonably cool until late afternoon. And it always stayed 7-10 degrees cooler than outside.

As soon as the sun went down I would start the process all over.

It really has not been bad as I thought.

But Southerners, for centuries lived without A/C. That's why they had 10 foot plus high ceilings and losts of shade trees.

I will do it again next summer.
tnt17

Wow. kudos. I live in Wellford. 2200+ sq foot home. How big are your homes, sq foot wise?
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
DavidW

Greetings, tnt17.

One home is 900 - 950 sq. ft.

The other is over 1600 sq. ft.

Both have extra insulation I had installed.