Fleas in the Yard

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Harry

Yo

I recently became aware of fleas in the yard!

I guess all the critters and farrow cats are bringing them in.

How do I kill them without poisoning the water?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
tnt17

Harry i've used this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
Ortho for fleas and bugs..have 2 dogs outside. Also,
for the inside i'll fog the house, usually say when we go away for the day, and no animals are inside.
Regular fogging sure does help. But they do make an outside fogger, just wouldn't want any animals around then either, be sure to change water bowl and food supplies after as well, whether inside or out.
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
Mark
Site Admin

Hey Harry,

I don't really know the answer other than buy some bug spray from the store. But I'm in one of those moods so thought I'd add a couple smart-a$$ answers.

1) Hang flea and tick collars from the top of those wire croquet loops and set around the yard.

2) Wait for the first freeze of the year, which for us will be in about 2 months.

3) Watch 'The Verminators' on Discovery for tips.

OK, I know I'm being stupid, so hopefully no offense taken! LOL.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Harry

Hey Mark

I was thinking of having the in-laws over for a cookout. The fleas jump on them ...they swat the fleas...problem solved!!

What do ya think?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Mark
Site Admin

That's a better idea yet. And maybe when the in-laws leave, they'll take the rest of the fleas with them. LOL.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
tnt17

hang bug zappers around their(in laws) necks, let them chase each other around the yard? maybe make it a new game.
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
Harry

Yo

Thanks all. I think I'll try the Ortho.

Anyone need a farrow cat?

Yanita - I've got one farrow cat that is an Ocicat.
Looks like the one in the link: http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/ocicat.html

Harry
Yanita

Hi Harry,

Gorgeous cat! LOL, have been thinking about adding to my collection of the exotic felines. That very same link you supplied, scroll to the bottom, the last pic is identical of my female Javanese, Suki.

Getting ready to call it a day here shortly, but tomorrow if I have time I will post a couple links to a few other breeds that I am also interested in.

Oh...and the fleas...dam, if my youngest son didn't let in a stray! Yup, got a few fleas, darnedest thing though, none when you walk across the room or sit on the floor/furniture. See one of 2 on the furkids. Well for the past 3 weeks once week at 137.00 per cat per visit for allergy shots, pro flea treatments, bathing etc I still found a flea again tonight on the male cat! At this time both cats are on Amoxidrops and a ointment for their eyes!

Any suggestions...bombs won't work as they are on the cats. Already done Frontline and the new Promeris flea treatments and they now are wearing flea collars. Vet says we can't do any more flea eradication treatments without risking permanent neurological damage/overdosing the cats!

ALL FROM ONE PRETTY GREEN EYED STRAY!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg S

Best product on the market I know of for pets is Advantage. Using it properly it kills any fleas that get on them and will rid your house of all fleas over a period of a few weeks. Problem with spraying is it does not kill the eggs and seldom effects larva stage.
It is available at Vet's.
Yanita

Hi,

Like I said I have done the pro treatments...bathing at the vets, and used one round of Advantage and one round of Promeris...can't do anything more without accidental poisoning of the cats.

Think we have some sort of mutant fleas, joking of course... :)

Oh and so you know, the chemical compounds of Frontline have changed as it will soon be marketed at the stores (Wal Mart and the likes) instead of just vet offices and high dollar pet stores.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!