Bad neighbours, bad landlord

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jim from Canada

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do about really bad neighbours? The landowner won't do anything, we have had the police out here several times and can't get anything done. Our problems include trespassing, putting junk on our yard, assault, hitting our dog with a stick, obscene graffitti, rude gestures, lights in our windows, threatening, on and on. We have security cameras now and they have one pointed in our yard. Of course he is on disability, but can work 10-12 hrs a day in his shed and on his dilapitated cars. That's my tax dollars! Look under "trailer trash" in the dictionary and you will see thier pics, lol.

Jim
Yanita

Hi,

If your park allows...nice fences also make good neighbors. If they do not allow that how about tall hedges?

Some of the things you are listed are crimes that are prosecutable.

Of course, I must ask have you tried having a reasonable conversation with the offending neighbor?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a terrible situation. With the cameras watching your property, I would report every criminal offense. At some point, the pressure on the PD would make something give. It may seem like you are taking their time for petty stuff, but it is better than taking their time for a true altercation, follow though with threats or injury to your family or dog. I know going on the offensive personally is a no-win situation.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

As JD said, CAMERAS! but be VERY careful since there is a dog involved, antifreeze is a very tasty and fatal treat for animals. I would give the SPCA a "heads up" about the situation, around here injury or abuse of an animal can land you in jail faster than assulting a person. You may need to keep him indoors and watch closely when he goes out. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

We are serving them with a notice of trespass and putting in an "information" on them (kinda like a peace bond). That is all the police had to offer to us for information. Got to get the notice served to them if the land owner ever shows up around here.

Jim
Harry

Yo

I sure was glad when we moved to the "boonies". Far away from all the drama.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Robert

I would do as you have to this point up until the "assault" and "threatening" part occurred.

Then a new course of action would have been implemented.

ANY hostile situations that someone brings onto my property will be considered an endangerment to my family and will be dealt with swiftly and within all laws that pertain wherein.

When it is brought to you and onto your place of residense, it is no longer considered offensive action.

I will do everything possible to resolve an issue peacably, but where my family is concerned, there is a point of no return that should not be crossed.

I have walked in your shoes as a citizen and have dealt with this many times before being retired from Law Enforcement.

I know first hand the results of actions taken and unfortunately of actions not taken.

Do all possible to get peaceful resolution, but protect your family by whatever means necessary both physically and by civil liabilities.

Also, be sure you always are within the laws pertaining to situation and have yourself covered by facts and proof.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
troyster

I feel for you Jim. Last August we finally got our "trailer trash" removed and not a minute too soon. The stress it was causing me was tremendous. The more I filed complaints with the land owners/management the more immature the offenders got and the more crap they would pull as revenge for my complaints against them.They pushed the rules to the limit and at one time I was considering just giving up and selling my home and moving. Its a shame that some neighbors have a complete disregard for the rules and a total lack of respect and morals. The only advise I can give is the same as what Robert had to offer. Document everything, keep pressuring the law enforcement/ owner-management and be patient. If they are bothering other neighbors get them involved if they will and fight it in numbers. Good Luck Jim , I really sympathize with your situation. Troyster
Greg S

http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/index.html
http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/act.phtml

Your problem in my opinion is the park owner. File a complaint with the Ontario rent review board.
According to what you have said the landlord has grounds to evict your neighbor. He can be evicted for interfering with your reasonable enjoyment of your property. Check your park rules there may be plenty of violations, find out who is paying his disability and contact them with recorded evidence.
Force your landlord to do his job by getting the government on his case.
Jim from Canada

Well, we must have had some action. My other neighbour phoned the landlord (he won't answer my calls) and reamed him out. We also got CAS involved and the police. We tried the LTB and they are useless. The landlord seems to encourage this behaviour. I guess he thinks that infighting is better than people going after him (which is happening too). He has been absent, except rent day, for a year and a half. The "superintendant" will not claim she is a "super" or claim the responsabilities of the job. But she takes the free rent. She claims "those poor people (the bad neighbours) are just trying to make a living. Well, they are living off MY tax dollars for no good reason, and have so much time on thier hands, that all they do is think up ways to be an annoyance. On the other hand, thier latest stunt really ticked off a whole bunch of residents as they wrote peoples names on the side of the car they were getting towed away. Along with unflattering and foul words about them. We are taking our time and going to do this right and permanently.

Jim
Greg S

It's a shame when the tenants have to do the landlords job.
It sounds like you need a new owner.
You could also try as a group to flood the super with complaints to make her life miserable and maybe get her to quit allowing one of the group to take over the job.
Is the super the one taking in all the water samples for testing or is it someone else.
Has everyone received a copy of the park rules, anyone that has not can withhold rent until they receive printed rules.
Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.
Jim from Canada

The water samples are being taken by another person in the park the landlord hired. Complaining gets us nowhere, he says "there are no rules" despite a bunch of people having copies of rules. He uses that to his advantage. The LTB is a joke here, favouring landlords. But, there are a growing number of people P.O.'d at both the landlord and our "juvinile disability hillbilly" neighbours.

Jim