The aftermath - Iowa floods of 08

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Sylvia

It's been a crazy three weeks here in Iowa. Life is slowing getting back to a new normal. A new normal with lots of homeless people and lots of business closed indefinitely. In our own smaller scale I suppose its much like Katrina was to NOLA. We all sandbagged what and where we could but all in all we were no match for the water. I am very proud of my kids when they all three volunteered to go sandbag. It makes me feel like I did something right and there is hope for them to be successful adults. :)

I've never felt so helpless. Although we were fine, I've got a few friends that lost their homes. FE MA is bringing in those trailers. Did anyone that posted here ever get one?
Greg

Sylvia, Glad to hear that everything is going as good as possible for you. Disasters tend to make people show their true colors. You should be proud of your kids, they have learened what it truly important in life. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
WildIrish

I do hope the rain slows and/or subsides for a long enough period, that it can dry out in Iowa. The people there have had enough suffering. It's no surprise that you folks felt helpless, given that we humans are just no match for mother nature on a rampage. :(

Best wishes and prayers from a neighbor in Nebraska.
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]
Sylvia

Thanks.

My long winded question was really has anyone here had a FEMA trailer after Katrina? The first of the trailers started towards the corridor area yesterday. I saw one on the I could see the chairs bouncing around.

Any advise for friends who may end up in one? These are people who came from "traditional" homes, not mhs.

One friend has been staying between a motel and each of her adult children for the past three weeks. She's trying to take the most of it. I've been invited over for a dip in the pool or hot tub and a "beverage".
Yanita

Hey Sylvia,

Well since the Katrina event there has been wide publication and I believe litigation about these campers. I know the last new home I bought there was documentation with the home clearly stating to have the windows open as much as possible to circulate fresh air. These home are constructed with products that contain formaldehyde.

Sure wish we could get a fraction of the rain the mid west has gotten, we are in the drought again, my lawn is about dead and can't keep any flowers worth a darn.

Although the bigger fireworks are illegal in NC there are always those folks that go south of our border and bring them back...I am anticipating alot of fires after tomorrow night.

During our flood in 99 my whole family donated time and items for the flood victims...yes, it does give you a sense of contributing to the community. It takes a real long time to rebuild after a natural disaster.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi Sylvia

My friend/neighbor bought a couple of the FEMA trailers that turned out to have the formaldahyde problem. He opened everthing up and aired them out with a big fan.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?