Contaminiated City Water

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Yanita

Hey folks,

Thankfully this does not effect my water, although it does effect my life.

The city of Greenville has contaminated water, e coli and a few other nasties. It is amazing what a screeching halt has taken place in the city. Not a restaurant to be had is open, nada, zip, zero, all the after school programs, daycares and alot of Dr's offices, Deli's coffee shops are closed.

Most of the stores, convenience or grocery had no warning of this so needless to say about all beverages are depleted from the stores.

Thankfully I am not on the same water system and have been able to help many that I know in the effected areas with water. Just bring your own container at this point....

Although I have water, it still is effecting me right in the wallet...can't clean any of my customers homes that are effected...how about that translates into approx 80% of my business. Health Dept has advised against this service do to cross contamination. Looks like it could be early next week before I get back to work!

Now as I sit here, I think, what would happen if something was to happen to our country if alot of water systems where to get contaminated??????

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Yep

I saw that ... seems to be a human fecal coliform contamination. I guess the city worker let the chlorine injector run out.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi Harry,

Not sure really what did happen, I do know the glimpses I have caught on tv show crews working on pipes under ground.

Around here about anything could of happened.

Although this doesn't affect me it is one more reason I want to get our well up and running, I only fear that it is contaminated as well.

We have commercial fields adjoining our property and I personally know of several homes that have "grey" water running into the ditches. Some of this grey water is not from the washing machine either, seems to be easier to let everything run to the drainage ditches than get the leach fields fixed or the septic tank pumped.

Yanita
Greg

Yanita, We have people here that use two water supplies. A well for washing & the garden and public supply for drinking.
You are right about the problems caused by contamination of a water system, but at least the systems are monitored. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

Luckily there is more monitoring of water supplies today. Maybe you could mix some bleach with the water for cleaning. There are procedures for explaining how to do it.
It is usually a mild bleach solution. Wear some gloves so your hands stay pretty looking.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Yanita

Hi,

Thankfully it was not my water supply that was contaminated. Thankfully the situation has been fixed, but there is alot of hub bub on the news with angry restaurant owners who lost thousands! LOL, the utilities company has made public statements that this is not their fault and will hold no responsibility to any losses anyone incurred.

For those that are on the utilities system it was a statement not well received. Your bill clearly shows you are billed for water use, sewage and something to do with the maintenance repairs of the city lines forget now what they titled that fee.

The city is saying call your insurance company to recoup your losses!

Yanita
oldfart

Yanita...hmmmm? Call your insurance company to recoupe your losses? Eh? O.K.....that made me giggle. In any case yer not alone. Here in Greencastle, Pa. they put in a new sewage treatment plant along with a new water treatment plant. For about a zillion dollars at taxpayers expense. Then they made all the folks in Antrim Township (Greencastle) cap their wells and hook up to city water&sewage. Then they mentioned...if you're over 65/under some undetermined age/pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant/have stomach problems/kidney problems and a host of other warnings.....don't drink the water without boiling it first!! Ohhhhkey dokey! And if yer normal, healty and fit..don't drink the water during a drought or times of heavy rain. Awright..got it!! Perfect! Now since I reside just outside the township line and am on a well this doesn't affect me directly...BUT! Since our little community signed a petition that thwarthed such conviences....don't apply for a building permit! Any application for a building permit is an immediate cause to condemn the home and property. They walked a 68yr. old woman out of her home of many years because she applied for a permit to put on a new roof. Audie..the p/o'd Oldfart....