Tough skin cherry tomatoes

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

readysetgo

Hi,
A friend of mine who grew tomatoes this year gave me a bunch of them but they've got a tough skin on them. Any recipes of what to do with them. The taste of them is good but that tough skin ruins it to eat alone.
mokehillannie

I love tomatoes with tough skin. We all could use more fiber in our diets.

But to get back to your question. My mother in law used to peel them and use them just like any tomato. She popped them into boiling water for a couple of seconds then into cold and they were easier to peel.
Serena

My mother used to do that, too. She said she learned it from her mother.
oldfart

Well now folks here's a trip down memory lane! Cherry tomatoes! Folks...back in the early 1980's when I bought this old homestead my boss, at the time, gifted me with a bunch'a cherry tomatoes. It warn't much..just a few spindly scraggly plants. And the soil here warn't much to speak of. Lots of clay and shale...droughts was common and summers heat could kill off most mere mortal crops. An yet..them cherry tomatoes seemed to thrive! Matter of fact... I looked at them tomaters as somewhat of a nusiance! I plowed and hauled soil up from the crick-bottom....composted and hauled in topsoil...and all fer naught. My Beefsteaks and Early Girls rotted on the vine. Blossum-end rot was rampant and them "horned-tomatoe-worms" et up much of my hard earned crop. And yet..them cherry tomatoes came up every year..no need to plant 'em...they just came. Go figger? Well it's been nearly 20yrs. and them cherry tomatoes is still poking up thru the soil I stopped cultivating some years back. Yup..they's tough as an old cobb and ya cain't hardly digest them skins. (blush..) On the good side..they's hardy and nothin' much brings a smile to my face as much as ploppin' one in my mug and gummin' down on one and feelin' it explode in my mouth with a great tomater taste!! Roma's are great fer sauce....a BeefSteak fills out a burger right-smart. Love the Early-Girls and the Yellow Tomatoes are acid-free and right-smart puddy in a salad. All good eatin'! But nuthin' say's tomatoe..... like a cherry tomatoe fresh from the vine. No salt please...just lemme wipe it off on my kerchief and plop it into my mouth. Mmmmm...now that's some good eats. Audie..the Oldfart...