insurance adjusters opinion

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

lefties

I even tried the particle board water thing as greg suggested.(sort of) told him i had a piece of particle board on my garage floor never been wet but it was mush just from drawing ground moisture,,to that he agreed. Told me also that if they had a contractor look at my floors that they wouldnt fix the wavy spots,,only the soft spots(box em in and replace that piece). They said because I didnt file a police report or call them until I saw the floors getting wavy that they would be non liable also. They said i would have had to call immediately when the washer overflowed so they could come rip up carpets etc,,and there would have been no damage.(again contradicting the statement that the floor damage wasnt from washer overflowing or even water in many spots but due to settling,,or vapor from wet insulation underneath as a result of the washer overflowing. According to him it looks like an ongoing problem but one he cant explain(maybe this,,maybe that. LOL-pretty good huh? Im putting this issue to bed now,,thanks guys (and gals)for your help
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Greg

....Police report for floors??? Did he bump his head??? I could hear that one coming over the scanner now, Better call for BACKUP!!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hmmm, I wonder how you are suppose to "know" you have floor damage..doesn't that knowledge come after the floors start showing signs of lumps, humps, bumps, sags, dips, or a soft spot.

If I am not mistaken you can request another adjuster come out and look at your home. You can also slip in that you are preparing to take pictures with a disposable camera, call the insurance commissioner and the BBB!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lefties

LOL GREG,,i told him the same thing as you,,i said yea right. I said as rural as we are I can see calling a sherriff out to check this! Yanita,,again,,I told him the same as you also,,I said how am i supposed to report damage when it hasnt occured yet(duh) It didnt start to show for awhile. By the way,,you guys(n gals) are good! :lol:
Sylvia

Call his supervisor. I'd also get a copy of the policy and scan through it. Was the damage caused by vandalism? Or are they maintaining it was caused by vandalism? That's the only instance where they could require you to call the police.
oldfart

Hmmmm? Lefties..insurance companies always debate a claim. All of them to my knowledge. Just recent my neighbor had lightning hit his home (1984 s.w.) and it fried the neutral bar in his dis-connect and cooked the A/C unit and a brand new water softener. He called Allegheny Power and a lineman came out and got his house up and running temporarily. Me and an electrican friend made some more repairs and I told him to file a claim on his homeowners insurance..which he did. He's been paying $350. a year for the past 20yrs. and never..ever... filed a claim before. And they're balking at the claim of course. Guess who the insurance company is? Give up? Progressive. With his deductabile the claim probably doesn't amount to $200...IF he gets it. Rest assured they're not alone either. Insurance companies want to sell insurance..not pay out for claims. Don't give up and fight it tooth an nail. Just my thoughts. Audie..the Oldfart....
Sylvia

Insurance companies don't always debate claims. Always try to do business with companies that are rated a A++ financially by Am best. The better a company is doing financially the lower frequency of problems paying out claims.
Yanita

LOL,

In all my years of paying insurance premiums and the 2 times I have put in claims, one on the Monte Carlo last year when my client hit my car not only once but twice in less than 3 minutes...3000.00 dollars damage...Nationwide (reputable company) did all they could do to keep there payout low...like not wanting to replace hood, headlight assembly, bumper, tie rod, ball joints and rim, drivers front fender and fix door with original Chevy parts....junk yard parts is what they wanted me to accept...NOT!!!!

The company that I had my other home on would only pay $2.50 for a plumber to pull the toilet, and $7.00 to pull out a tub shower unit...oh yeah and 22.00 to replace the carpet in the bedroom beside that bath. My hubby is a licensed plumber...good luck getting him out of bed for that kind of money!

Not saying all insurance companies try to bend you over, but they are not forth coming easily...it does require that you stand your ground...

Yanita
lefties

I just saw that this post was answered to,,so Ill interject again. The letter that arrived from Progressive stated that the floors were wavy due to NORMAL wear and tear,,of which they dont pay out for. The downside is,,for me to get them back here,,i must rip up my floors and show them proof underneath that there was water ,,by stains etc. I have 2 small kids in the house,,i cant rip the floors up and leave them like that for a week or so awaiting progressive to send another adjuster out. Thats just the way it is unfortunately.
Mark440

Ahhh---the insurance companies - wo/man's best friend!

Mine recently told me that my DW has a total life expectancy of 30 years. And being that it is now 10 years old - they pumped up my rate a full 14% this year. And oh...btw....I should expect another sizable increase at year 15.

What I don't understand - why would the VA find it OK to make a 30 year loan on a DW that was already 6 years old if the industry standard life expectancy is just 30 years? Wouldn't this leave the VA holding a mortgage with no real property to secure it?

Or maybe Bozo didn't really die! Maybe he is working at my insurance company in disguise!
Yanita

LOL, hmmm, as you said said "Bozo" must be working...my home is soon to be 35 years old and still has more life in it than I do! As with any home preventative maintenance is a must, maybe a little more so with ours.

There are many, many doublewides/singles in our area that are as old as mine if not older and still look great!

Yanita
Harry

Hi

Good Luck with your insurance problems.

Lots of homeowners insurance problems here. I am lucky to have insurance at all. My company says they go by whatever the adjuster determines.

And Jesse James had a horse and 2 guns.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?