Secretary of State

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

NancyKay

I have a quick question, hopefully. I have sold my home, (actually I'm giving it to someone) and they told her at the park office that we have to go to Sec of State and transfer title. Ok fine.

My question is, do I have to go also? or just her as the new owner? I paid cash for it, there is no money changing hands, just transfer of title. Couldn't I just sign the title, like when you buy a car, and give it to her, and she has to go register it? (She is a friend) I live in Michigan. I am going to call Sec of State, but it is always such a long call of holding on and pressing this button and that button. Just wondered if anyone knew.
NancyKay
Mark
Site Admin

If you've properly signed the title, you both don't need to go. Car titles change hands all the time, and it's rare that both buyer and seller go to the courhouse together.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
NancyKay

Thank you Mark, that is what I thought. I actually just got my brothers truck, and he signed the title, and I took it in myself to transfer it into my name. I was hoping / assuming this title would be the same way. And I'll leave the price line blank, since I am just letting them have it at no charge.
NancyKay
mist1953

Once you sign the title over to them and put a date on it they have only so many days to have it registered in there names. I would leave the date open so when they are ready to take it to the secretary to have it registered in there name they won't be penalized if they go past the date. They can date it once they go.
Yanita

Hi folks,

Putting this in Off Topic, it is not repair related.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!