Rent control in CA M.H. Parks

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

help4MH

Hi,
I've been aware that there is a proposition, in the upcoming CA :shock: . election in June. If it affects CA. and it passes, it'll affect everyone. It's called Prop. 98, and it's calling to "release rent control" , but the wording is such that it's tricky. I'm just wondering has anyone heard about it yet, in CA, and if so is there anything you are doing? I'm telling everyone I know to vote it down. It would make all the people who only can afford a mobile home, low income folks, and elderly, go homeless or move elsewhere. Because the rent would increase and they couldn't afford it. To buy a MH in a "non rent controlled" park, well then a person would be paying excruciatingly high rent, along w/ a mortgage. So the prop. value of the home would go way down. Plus, if it were me, and this passes, I'd have nothing to sell, really. What I"d get would be nothing and I'd have nowhere to move to w/ nothing. That would happen to all low income people. Anyone heard of this? Just curious. If you live in CA. and want your MH not to be devalued, please look into it, NO on 98 and yes on 99. AARP is behind it. I mean voting this way. I'm voting that way. I just don't think it's right to try to grab all the Mobile home land away from the low income people. JMO. I'll check back later to see if any other Ca" residents are here. But it'll affect all states if passed here. Every state will say "Lets do what they did".
Barbara
"With no guilt,no pain, no sorrow ,or shame, whatever it is, we are all the same"
P.Gabriel

Attached is a link to the information on prop 98. http://www.smartvoter.org/2008/06/03/ca/state/prop/98/

From what I can tell if you have been renting prior to 2007 your rent control will remain in effect until you sell your home or move. Where I am (Anaheim) we don't have rent control. Instead we have a 10 year lease which limits the amount of rent increase. We have about 6 years left on it.
Bill W.