Mid West storms

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Greg

After seeing the news tonight, All of our family members in that area OK??? It's headed East towards the Southern Atlantic area next. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Also those North of us with the flooding in Maine...whenever all of you get a chance let us know that you are safe!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

We had them going NE from Arkansas and NE from Mississippi and just barely missed having one land on the home we're living in (old home, not one we bought last year).

Watched it go by while being rocked back and forth sitting in my service van in front yard trying to get out of there.

Just another day in tornado alley, kinda surprised now when we don't have one they've become so frequent.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Thanks for the update Robert...I was talking with my insurance agent to make sure all my coverages are in place and even increased some of them. Took a bunch of photos of various items and then sent the insurance company the disc to retain on file.

Even though we do not get the huge tornado's that we see on TV we have been getting many more than usual.

Larry and I were talking about possibly building a storm structure. Something on the lines of a concrete (small) bunker covered with dirt. We can not dig into the ground but a couple of feet, our water table is real high here.

Starting June 1st we begin the official hurricane season. Wonder what lies ahead. LOL, I just keep reminding myself that this home has been here 38 years...

Have a great day, and keep your eyes to the sky!

Yanita
Greg

130" of Snow & cold?? Ya, I'll take it over tornados & hurricanes ANY DAY!!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Kyle

Here in Tennesse we had terrible tornadoes and a town near us was destroyed, 3 people in mobile homes were killed. :( We are OK
dandjbarrett

:( Hating the beginning of hurricane season. Our place is on the neck of an island south of Myrtle Beach, so I'm seriously thinking of closing it up, shutting off the water, pulling the breakers on the outdoor power and water heater and staying in Virginia for much of the summer starting in mid-June. Hopefully I can still manage to go down there a few times during the worst of the season, but hurricanes and all the havoc they cause terrify me. My little home has survived several tropical storms and Hurrican Hugo with no damage, but I think I'd rather tempt fate in the mountains rather than in a place surrounded by oceans and rivers. {{{nerve attack thinking about it}}} :)

Oh, Yanita. Your post made me think of a question. I wonder if I should notify my insurance company that we added that outdoor porch? My coverage is good overall and includes wind damage, but would the addition of that porch change things?
Yanita

Hi,

Most definitely you want to notify your insurance company. If you want it covered then call now. I know with my insurance company everything you want covered has to be listed, adjustments made in coverage BEFORE the hurricane season begins.

As far as how much your policy will/can/could go up I assume would depend on the coverage you choose.

EVERYTHING I have on my policy is for "replacement" coverage. Meaning our flat screen was 1200.00 last year. It may or may not cost that to replace it if it was destroyed in a hurricane this year.

Every year my policy goes up less than $25.00 because of having this type of policy. Inflation on lumber etc....

We just built a new front porch as well. I took pictures, submitted a copy of the permit and that is also added to the policy.

My advice, call your insurance agency and inquire.

Oh, and about staying in the Virginia mountains during a hurricane
...this is my thoughts and experience. A few years back we got a fairly good sized hurricane. We headed to the mountains of NC. Well the storm came up and circled around, causing major mud slides and flooding in that area...bottom line, everything was pretty good here with the exception of some local trees, power and minor road flooding. Would of been better off to stay home instead of traveling to the other side of the state.

One of the good things about a hurricane, if there is anything good about them is you always have at least a week if not more to prepare. The weather station is real good at watching what is happening and predicting where it is going.

Go to your summer home, enjoy and relax, when/if a hurricane presents itself, then make your decision to vacate. As you know make your decision early as the highways and secondary roads get jammed up pretty quickly with scared tourist.

Yanita
dandjbarrett

Thanks, Yanita. Your advice has always been well-thought, planned and above par. It is much appreciated.
Yanita

Hi,

Your welcome, now please get out your summer clothes, pack up and go and enjoy that new porch!

Yanita