Water Softener

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Harry

Hi

I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the Cxxxxxxx water softener I bought 4 years ago. So I am shopping for a new system.

The industry standard seems to be Fleck. Price, parts and service info is definitely better than the system I have now.

All info is appreciated.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Silver Bullet 00

Do a search using watersoftener and you should find info on water softeners.

Try Sears. I've had one for over 6 years without any problems.
Bill W.

Fleck9000 system here no complaints, one of the most reliable systems. Less than $5 a month in salt use, compare to some who charges up to $40 (Culligan) a month for their services.

Harry

Hi

I had decided on the Fleck 5600. I'll give the 9000 another look. I can get the 5600 for $499.00 free UPS shipping.

In 2004 my present Cxxxxxxx cost over $2000. The repair parts are high priced and the service really poor.

Yesterday I moved the Cxxxxxxx to my work shed. Before that it was sitting outdoors. It is an outdoor model. The next time it fails it comes out...gets smashed to pieces and hauled to the dump.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Demolition

Not every Water Softener works best in every place.
I see you are in Florida. You may have more Sulphur in the water... whereas, in Arkansas we have more Iron.

I suggest getting ahold of a Rural Water company and talk with their plant manager. Also talk with your neighbors and the co-oprative county extention agent.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Harry

Hi

Yes...testing is key to proper equipment application. Our hardness is 400 ppm. Iron is 1.9 ppm worse case after lots of ongoing testing.

Also water usage is important...# of people and bathrooms and so forth.

Also our well grows algae/moss ... some of which grows in the lines. Needs to be shocked a couple times a year. We're too far in the boonies for city water.

Harry
Barb P

Harry, do you have to go into your 'filter closet', to divert it, when you use outdoor faucets? You can't be using softened water for outdoor use?
My reason for asking would take too long to explain. :roll:
BarbP
Harry

Hi

I have a faucet before the softener equip that I can use for the outdoors. It is my hardwater faucet. It is located by the well pump. Does this answer your question?

Harry
Barb P

Yes, it does. You're not actually taking the outdoor water from the house.
When I figure out how to explain my water problem consisely, I will be looking for advice. :)
BarbP