Anyone here just live on the plywood floors??

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

betty_joanne

Are only options at the moment are really gross carpet (some areas with dry rot in carpeting) or pull up the carpet and live on the plywood floors underneath.
I am wondering if anyone else has done this for a short period of time(2-3 months) and if it worked out ok. I am worried about splinters and i have an almost 3 yr old who doesn't keep shoes or socks on when at home and a dog..
Even with the carpeting up we would still have the factory installed flooring in parts of the house such as the kitchen, bathrooms, and utility room.
Jim from Canada

We have press board floors (sawdust and glue) with hardley any carpets. We have big rugs, and lots of small ones too. Have been doing it for over a year but the carpet here was gross too. We have a big dog and have had a handicapped child who dragged a foot and we are almost always in bare feet. It has convinced us that we do not want carpet anymore. It holds too much dirt! No way to fix a spill. It holds moisture on the floor. We are going hardwood when we go. Keeping to vinyl in the bath rooms and kitchen.

Jim
Robert

About to do as Jim in the 2nd home we bought and do the floors one room at a time as time allows.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
betty_joanne

Any ideas for what to do if just doing the plywood on the marriage line part of the floor since we are in a doublewide? Seems like a tripping hazard. Any ideas? Husband suggested rugs but then you can't see where the gap is and would be more likely to trip and fall.
Robert

The rugs serve same purpose as carpet, you couldn't see it then either and with knowing it's there, should be ok with a heavier style rug.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Serena

I have several neighbors who have various carpet pieces and throw rugs over their plywood and have had no problems. One couple has them so nicely done that you can't tell there is bare plywood underneath. They are on the one-room-at-a-time plan. Their main project was to replace the plywood. They used such nice plywood that the floors look good.

Others have more makeshift efforts.
Demolition

I used to work at a carpet store but my MH just has bare wood floors. We have dogs and a teenager who rides 4-wheelers and works on cars for fun.

You might consider putting a layer of Floor Paint down.
I prefer enamel. You can wash it easy and it will help keep the splinters down.

For the marriage line, you might put down a thin strip of wood or a fat piece of rubber.
If not, just enjoy the amusement of husband tripping over the marriage line.

Dont laugh in front of him, wait till he leaves the room.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town