Choosing Lawn Tractor

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Barb P

With all features equal on a 18hp lawn tractor, which engine is preferable, B&S, or Kohler?
Briggs is on a Craftsman. Kohler is on a Troy Bilt.
Any opinions?
BarbP
Jim from Canada

Both good motors. Briggs, I have heard are not as good as they used to be. Kohler made thousands of motors for snow mobiles. I think I would let something else be the deciding factor.

Jim
Greg

Barb, In all honesty If you are looking at New tractors there are only a few manufacturers left. Both of the ones you mentioned are most likely built by MTD.
MTD bought a LOT of companies out in the past few years And cheapend them up to their Specifications.
Both Briggs & Kohler are good motors, but don't forget about the rest of the machine. I have seen the front ends fall apart after just a few years of mowing a lawn that was a little rough.
Personally I would go with a good used John Deere or an older Cub Cadet (they were bought by MTD also about 10 years ago so stay away from the newer cubs). Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

I've got a Kohler powered Snapper. Love it.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

We have a Troybuilt tractor and generator. Both are well used and have held up real well to the abuse we put them thru...BUT, as with anything proper yearly maintenance goes a long ways.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

My next new rider will be a zero-turn Dixon. I was hoping that would happen this year, but maybe next. Got too many other expensive projects going right now.

The Park I use to manage had a zero-turn Dixon, and it went thru hell and back and never whined once. The model I'm looking at for myself is a bit smaller tho.

Like Greg said, I heard that Cub Cadet and John Deere are now made by the chinese, so aren't near the machines they use to be. Probably explains why you can now buy a John Deere at Home Depot and other outlets for about half of what they use to sell for.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Robert

Husqvarner makes a good rider with a Kohler engine.

Kohler is best of 2 you listed.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Barb P

Thank you for responses. I've just started my quest.
I promised my 20 year old Craftsman work horse to my son, and I want a smaller, and hopefully easier to maintain one for the half acre that I mow. I could do it with a walk-behind, but my old legs object to such things.
My hubby used to mow down tall weeds and bramble to make paths for walking, on our eleven acres of scrub, but I do only the grass in the immediate yard now.
Obviously I don't want a machine that will fall apart soon.
BarbP
Greg

Mark, I am told that the JDs at Depot & Lowes are different that the ones at the JD dealers. I think they went with a mass marketed homeowner line not quite the same standard (or price) as what the dealers sell.
As far as I know dixon is still a quality machine, Farris (a zero turn commercial mower) locally made was bought by MTD and I am told has gone down hill.
Corperate America, If you can't build a better product Just buy the competion!
Again as I said in my prior post the engine manufacturers are all about par with each other when it comes to breakdowns. The rest of the machine is where the problems are. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

I should hurry up and buy my Dixon zero-turn before MTD or some chinese company decides to buy them, eh! But I'm at that stage of life where I hate to finance anything but big purchases (like a car or house). Maybe this fall.

As far as ease of mowing, nothing beats a zero-turn. I had never used a zero-turn until I started using the mower from the Park I managed. That sold me. I'll never buy a regular rider again. Although I see with some riders that the steering sort of resembles a zero-turn, so maybe that isn't so bad.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Robert

You can get a regular rider zero turn, but the normal zero turns are better.

If you get a zero turn, be sure you get the commercial line, NOT the homeowner line.

The John Deere's sold in the home centers are not specifically for homeowners, but are made with lesser grade components in order to be offered at a lesser price.

Just like power tools and other items. On the outside they look the same, but what's inside them is different.

Kohler is a better engine than B&S for mowers, just as Honda is a better engine than B&S for power washers.

Though, you won't get the same distance between manufacturers when you buy it from a home center.

Buy at John Deere at John Deere, buy Kohler at a dealer like Kubota (a great brand mower).

When you buy from HD and Lowe's , etc., you get the lesser quality on same components all the way around, but you still get a better made engine if the brand is better quality outside those stores.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
oldfart

Hmmmm? Well Barb the first thing I noticed is that you mentioned your 20yr. old Craftsman you're going to give to your son. 20yrs. old?(the mower..not your son..) Ever had many problems with it? I assume it's still running as you're giving it to your son..eh? Now as has already been mentioned it's not usually the engines that gives one problems. Decks rust out and sundry other items fail. The engines seem to last forever IF properly maintained. One thing I can tell you is that engines, whether Briggs&Stratton, Kohler or any other come down 1 (one) assembly line. It doesn't matter who sells the mower. If Briggs&Stratton makes an 18h.p. engine for John Deer/Cub Cadet/MTD/Lowes/WalMart/Home Depot/K-Mart. It's the same engine. They don't make good quality and crapper engines. It's the same engine. Now..service plays a part in this. WalMart/Home Depot/K-Mart and Lowes don't service mowers. They just sell them. Parts availability is another issue. The above mentioned sellers provide only minimal parts. (belts/spark-plugs etc.) Sears, John Deere and Cub Cadet sell parts..all the parts. The cost difference between John Deere/Cub Cadet and Sears/Craftsman parts is astounding! Now something else should be considered..the cost of maintenence. I'm not familiar with John Deeres cost but Cub Cadet charges over $300 for a yearly tune-up. (My parents have a Cub Cadet..hence I know.) I just tuned up my old Craftsman riding mower and not considering my labor the cost was slightly under $50. Had I taken it to the local "Small Engine/Mower Repair Shop" it would still cost me less than half of Cub Cadets price gouging. I'm going to assume J.D. follows these same practices. Though I have no particular love for Sears..if your son is at all handy with small hand tools I would advise you stay with the Sears/Craftsman mowers for such a small area to mow. JMHO of course. Audie..the Oldfart..20 years..eh?
Robert

The engines in the mowers at the home centers are not same as the ones at the dealers.

They do not come down one and the same assembly line.

Robert
Silver Bullet 00

Hi Robert, Since you said special engines are made for Lowes, Home Depot Wal-Mart etc, just what are these differences? I know some model numbers of engines are specific to the above three retailers, but I never realized they are built to their specifications and what differences can there be? Having worked on both B/S and Tecumseh engines, I have never had a problem getting parts and was never asked what brand mower is the engine on. Appreciate your inside information to clear up my confusion.
Barb P

Audie, the tractor has been in use since 1988.
It has mowed tough weedy fields, pulled a cart loaded with stone, hauled cut up tree trunks, pushed a front end snow blower, pulled a rotiller, turned over rows of hardpack ground, with never a complaint.

My hubby kept it greased, oiled, cleaned, etc., and fixed and replaced things himself. Nothing major.

I, on the other hand, don't know how to maintain it properly.
I've had to pay someone to replace smallish things, like solenoid, fuel filter, and others I can't even remember.
I can replace belts, and the battery, and spark plugs. That's it.
In order to get it up a ramp and into the shed, I need to take the mower deck off, and that has gotten to be too hard for me physically.

My son would like this tractor because it was his dad's baby.

I'm really enjoying the insight I'm getting from everyone. Thank you.
BarbP