give it away or demolish

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

okiemommy

As far as the kitty goes, I may have some helpful insight on that aspect of your dilemma.

We did the same thing this winter. Took in a stray that had once obviously had a home, but that had been abandoned for at least several months. Everything was going fine until he started spraying. He sprayed twice but that was enough for me. (And he made a litter box out of my daughters toybox once.) So we kicked him back out, and still fed him. We started to let him back in on a trial basis and no accidents (I think he learned his lesson lol) But we didn't let him in on a permanent basis. My husband decided that the cat was kicked out for good. Other than the three bathroom mishaps he was a really good cat. Had manerisms much more like a dog, and he was really good to the kids. But he was kicked out, we were moving, and not allowed to take him with us.
On moving day when we started moving all of our stuff out, he frantically ran about, pacing back and forth as if to say where are you going?!? All of my friends noticed it, and were sad for him and me. They said why don't you take him with you? It was a concern b/c his previous owners had de-clawed him and we were moving to the country. We didn't want him in the house in case he sprayed, and we didn't want him out b/c he had been de-clawed. So they reasoned with me. One he has back claws that he uses as front ones, and I have seen him in action and it's quite impressive. Two he is a very smart Tomcat and should do really well outside if we have to leave him out. So I asked my husband if we could give it a try and he gave in. I just couldn't leave him. We went back to get the second and final load of things from the house. The cat came running up to us, all panicked as if to say THERE YOU ARE!! So I put him in the van, and took him with us to the new house. He had been in the van a couple of times before and it didn't set very well with him. This time he sat in my lap and purred. He put his paws up on the window like a puppy, and looked out the window and bobbed his head up and down. Then went back and forth purring and nudging, and looking out the window. He was truly glad that we took him, and he genuinely felt rescued. We've been out at the house for almost a month now, and he absolutely loves it. As soon as he hits the tree line, his eyes change and he becomes the consumate hunter. He really enjoys it. As for his safety, he has run off several animals much bigger than him, with out a scratch to him. I went out and walked the property the other day, and he went along with me, stopping and carrying on hunting activities every 10 yards, and then resuming following me like an excited puppy. I don't believe that it would be a good idea to bring just ANY cat with us out here, b/c I know that not all would make it. But he is a very savvy cat, and he is happy.

I cant say of course that it would work out as well for you as it did for us, but I think it's worth a shot, unless there are other issues involved that you didn't mention.
If you take this cat with you, and it doesn't work out, then could he hold the same outdoor status in the new house that he has now? You would know that he's taken care of, and wont have to wonder how he fared. Good luck with whatever you decide. I know it's a hard decision to make
NancyKay

Well I think I have found a friend of a friend who likes my trailer. He is going to take it for his daughter. I think to get her out of his house! hahaha. She also has a young daughter of her own.

She is older, (30?) and came back to the parents house, like a lot of "children" do. And my park is located very close by, not even a mile, from his house, and I think she'll be calling him everytime she needs something fixed, so it's a good fit.

They are going on Thursday to fill out the park applicaiton, so I'll know then. If they are approved, I'm moving to a house on June 1st.

I told him they could just have it, I didn't want any money for it. As long as they need a home, I need to move so they can take it off my hands.
NancyKay
Harry

Hi

2 problems solved!

You are a nice person!

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
NancyKay

Geeze, I just found this second page. I though when people replied to a post, it put it back in front, or at least updated it somehow. This says the last post was Yanita on April 6, on the front page, so I didn't know there were more responses.

I'm going to talk with the girl who may be getting it. If she is approved and moves in, I'm going to talk to her about the cat. If she won't let him in, at least maybe she'll continue to feed him. I'll even leave her a big bag of food. She has a little girl, maybe 7 or 8, and I think she said something about a litter box, so she may have a cat, or at least likes them.
NancyKay