Self Cleaning Ovens in Mobile Homes

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Harry

Hi

Are self cleaning ovens approved for mobile homes?

I finally shielded the wall and sides of our self cleaning oven. It got so hot on the self cleaning cycle I was afraid of starting a fire. I used 26 gauge sheet metal from Home Depot. For spacers I used 1/4" pex tubing until I can find glass or ceramic spacers.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Serena

I have one, but don't use the self-clean cycle. I don't think my wiring could take it. Mine came with my house.

Audie posted something awhile back about why the self-cleaning ovens make better ovens.
texasprairierose

Harry,

I did a search on the internet and can't find anything that says anything about using self cleaning ovens in mobile homes. We have had a Frigidaire self cleaning oven for almost three years and we haven't had any problems other than the first time I used the cleaning cycle, a screw on the handle worked its way loose and when my husband just touched it, the glass door shattered into a million pieces :shock:

I found this statement on Best Buys website: "Self-cleaning ovens eliminate the need for noxious sprays and scrubbing. Plus, because of super-heating for cleaning, self cleaning ovens have extra insulation that makes them up to 50% more efficient than conventional ovens. "

Diane
Yanita

Hey Harry,

I have self cleaning oven. I do not have any problems with mine. Although the first time I fired it up for cleaning I will admit I pulled it away from the recessed area it sits in. Did your unit come with any specific installation requirements/clearances.

Now with that being said I do believe there are very specific installation requirements for those that are considering a unit that fits into the wall.

On a side note, I love my self cleaning oven. Although they do take considerable electric in the clean mode they are worth it just for the amount they save in everyday baking/broiling/roasting. Mine is so efficient that even when set at 450* for a few hours you can touch the front glass without danger of getting burnt, this includes even a small child that might of snuck away into a harmful situation.

In other words the heat stays within and not escaping causing the oven to bake quicker. Also does not heat up the home which for those of us in the south saves yet again, the AC and oven are not fighting one another.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Our oven gets really hot. Shielding is an option in the installation pamphlet.

I like Yanita's suggestion of pulling the oven away from the wall a few inches for cleaning cycle.

Also I'm going to stay home for the 2 or so hours while it is on cleaning cycle.

Harry

PS: Yanita - What make is your oven?
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Mine is a Whirlpool, glass top, self cleaning.

I did pull it out the first time I did the cleaning...err on the side of caution, but I am one of those that refuses to leave the house with the washer or dryer running as well.

Yanita
Serena

I don't know how someone could leave the house during the self-clean cycle as the house must be very well ventilated due to the outgassing.

If it starts raining, I stop the cleaning cycle and shut all the windows.
Yanita

Hi Serena,

I am assuming that your post was meant to say you don't know how someone could not leave the home. If so it is a matter of ventilation, and I have noticed that some ovens burn off hotter than others, emit more fumes and smoke. Since I am a very neat cook my oven does not get real dirty.

When I clean the oven, which has only been 3 times in 2 years, once for the first burn per se and then the other 2 for cleaning I always make sure there is plenty of ventilation, all three doors open, 13 windows and 3 ventilation fans.

The first time was alot of fumes, but the last 2 were not bad at all.

I do remove my cats in carriers to the garage and when the oven is cleaning I am generally on the deck tending to plants or some other chore.

I guess I should of said I do not leave the property, I can hear any one of our smoke detectors from any area of the property. I also and go in and check out the situation during the cleaning time.

I value my life, home, and family way to much to leave something unattended that burns up to 1000 degrees.

Yanita
Serena

Hi Yanita,

I'm glad you pointed out being a clean cook and staying close by. I did mean that I don't think someone should leave. (I don't leave any windows open if I'm not home.)

During the self-clean cycle there are noxious vapors being emitted, even when clean. Here's a link, see section (0008):

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo= ... SPLAY=DESC

The outgassing is dangerous to some birds. I think about the canary in the coal mine....

In the manual for a Whirlpool model belonging to a friend, there is a warning:

The California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act...requires the Gov. of Cal. to publish a list of substances known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm, and requires businesses to warn of potential exposure to such substances.

"This product contains a chemical known to the State of california to cause, cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.

This appliance can cause low-level exposure to some of the substances listed, including benzene, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, and toluene."

I help a friend who is quite elderly. When we run the self-clean cycle on her oven, we open all the doors and windows. The times we've run the cycle, it's been too cold to sit on the front porch.

Maybe some ovens are less noxious than others. My friend's still smells terrible, even after being used a few times.

With all the warnings, I just don't get my oven dirty. I put a cookie sheet under any dish in the oven. I don't broil meat, so there are no spatters to clean up.
Yanita

Hi,

I am familiar with the info you supplied. My range/oven came complete with all the details and warnings, I would think they all have to.

I still prefer my self cleaner to doing it the ole fashion way, that oven cleaner is really hard on the lungs, and what a mess!

Yanita
Harry

Hi

Outgassing - good point.

Oven cleaner smoke/fumes can't be good.

Our Frigidaire Classic Series gets so hot you can not lay your hand on the control panel when self cleaning. I can't see the electronics living very long. If and when it fails I think I'll get a Whirlpool.

Harry
Yanita

Wow, that's hot!

But I got to admit I never tried touching the control panel, only the front door, top and sides.

I do everything I can to try to avoid spills in the oven, as Serena says putting a cookie sheet underneath whatever pan I am cooking in. Also it pays to wipe up spills while the oven is warm. Check out your electric meter when it is in the cleaning mode...

NEVER spray your self cleaning oven with an oven cleaner, you will ruin the unit! I know or at least recently saw an advertisement for a new cleaner that is formulated for self cleaners...well I am not going to use or try it. If you do let me know how it works for you.

I know what the Whirlpool repair guys charge and trust me I do not care to have them return anytime soon. They had to come and replace a motor/electronics in the ice maker of the fridge...31 days after the warranty...go figure huh.

I love my range, but sometimes kick myself for buying it in black!

Yanita
Greg

I told you so!!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."