Scam letter - Beware!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

gram2logan

I got a piece of mail today postmarked from Canada. No return address. Hmmmmmmm, okay so I opened it up and there's a letter telling me I'm a winner in the "Jackpot" for $700.000. AND there's a check enclosed for almost $4000. Sure looks authentic. But since I have not entered any "jackpot" contests, I knew it was a scam. I tried to look up the company's name and address and it seems like it's a combination of several legitimate components. But there is no company with that name, address and zip to be found.

It says in the letter to cash the check to help with legal, insurance or processing fees I may encounter. And to call a number in area code 778 - that's in Canada - to initiate my claim process and activate my check. I did not call it and the whole thing is going in the trash.

Nobody wishes it were true more than I do!!!
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Greg

Oh so you missed your chance to really mess with them, Since YOU know it is a scam if you had the time you could have really made life difficult for them by acting stupid and stringing THEM along!
Personally I like to send the postage paid envelopes back, either empty or with junk mail from another company in them and let them throw it out. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

There's also a rule that if you have to pay money to get a prize, then it too is a scam.

We had a company call us, All American Advertising Inc of Las Vegas. I wrote the name here so if anyone else searches the internet for info on this company, they will find what I've posted here (which I could find none when they first called us).

Anyway, they called and said if you placed an order with them for some (overpriced) pens, you were absolutely guaranteed to win 1 of 4 big prizes. Turns out most everyone would win an 8 day Bahama cruise. Except it was for only one person and did not include air fair, taxes and host of other charges. So basically you would still pay plenty to accept the prize.

Then they tell you later that they entered your name in a drawing, and you ARE the winner of $105,000 cash. Except to qualify you need to buy another $2,200 in products. Somehow I have a feeling you won't ever see the $105,000 either.

So scams are everywhere, in one form or another.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Harry

Hi

We've had an increase in this area of forged Quit Claim Deeds.

Someone will forge a Quit Claim on a piece of property and record it with the county. The bogus owner of the property sells it and disappears with the money. The title company ends up being sued. New property owners are really not the owners. It turns into a royal mess.

One couple doing it moved to Germany when things heated up. Germany will not extradite them because by law Germany does not extradite financial criminals.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Demolition

Does this mean I should stop holding the raffle?
I was going to raffle myself for a date...
Here is the scam, She has to pay for everything.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town