Yanita and forum staff, we had a pleasant surprise!!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

dandjbarrett

:D ----> That's my big smile!! We opened up the back of our house yesterday to put in a back door so construction can start on a screened back porch in a few weeks. WOW -- what a nice surprise!! Our home is an '85 horton dw and we've never lived in a mobile before, so it has been an interesting experience. Anyway, we were both very pleasantly surprised at how well built the back wall is!! The back wall had quite nice and ample insulation, very nice and sturdy 2 x 4s and wayyyy more 1 x 1 cross boards than we expected. My husband is a retired mechanical engineer and he was more than surprised at how labor intensive the work that went into building this place appeared to be. I was a little scared that we may find some hidden rot or moisture or something, but nope. Everything inside was as clean as a pin and the door is now in. We still have some trim work and outside siding work to trim up and set, but we're more than pleased. This home has been a very pleasant way for us to have a home near the beach without a million dollar or more price tag (very important for retired people on a fixed income, duhhhh). I figured it must be kind of sturdy since the compliance certificate said it was built for hurricane and wind resistance, but since its older I was a little afraid it may have decayed over time (it has survived two hurricanes in the past with no damage).
I give two thumbs up to this forum's staff for all the great advice and education in mobile ownership. Yanita, especially for you -- NO electric wires were in the wall -- YAY -- we didn't have to call an electrician). I'm loving my home and really hope we'll be able to enjoy it for many more years. We're both retired and older than many of you so we don't know how long we can keep two homes, but I'm sort of leaning toward this one being the one we keep and the northern home being the one we sell. :)
Greg

Well the fact that it has survived 2 hurricanes should be reassuring to you alone, plus the added bonus of seeing inside the walls.
Glad everything is working out for you. Your home was built during the transition era when many builders were folding their tents due to the new HUD regulations. I think that even though many builders already exceeded the new standards they did not want to be bothered with the "forced" compliance and many just closed the doors. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
dandjbarrett

It does make us feel better knowing its survived hurricane force winds, etc., but not good enough to stay if an evacuation order is issued :wink: .
Greg

... There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity!! Greg
Yanita

Hi! :D

So glad to hear that the first project was an easy success and yielded great results. LOL, I remember when we had installed all our new windows, 2 doors and then decided to have a third door installed from, the master suite going out towards the pool.

None of our windows had rot, nor did the doors. When we had the end wall opened up for the new door install we were pleasantly surprised there as well. really well built home and everything was still very solid. My home is older than yours, mine a Mansfield 1974 edition. I have owned 2 singlewides, newer than this and this has been the best built so far.

Although the storms really bother me I always remind myself this home has weathered 36 years of hurricanes, and we get the same ones you do generally. Of course I would leave if a cat 3 was coming, and thankfully we are not in the flood zone determined because of the great 99 flood. Not much holds up against a tornado...

If you can do not forget to get some pics and post when you start creating your photo album. Glad things are going well for you, sometimes, actually most of the time things do not go as planned.

Thanks for the update, and your very welcome for the help! LOL, when I first saw the title of this thread I thought I was in trouble!

Have a great day and a Happy Easter.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Ya, I have to admitt that I was thinking "what did we do this time?" Greg
dandjbarrett

:D :D Oh, no, you guys have certainly done nothing wrong. Almost everything we've done here has been with the help of the topics and advice on the forum. Yanita, we put in the back door to lead out of the master to the (hopefully soon to be built) screened porch and deck that will be on the back of the house. We're seriously considering paneling the inside of the door to match the walls so it will virtually disappear into the wall and be "our little secret" door. If we can manage to do it correctly the only easily visible evidence of a door will be the door knob and deadbolt.
I have to say I'm enjoying my husband's retirement a lot since he's written out pages of little projects he wants to do here. Another big one that'll have to wait until more $$ gets in the till (lol) is a carport addition. I have to laugh a little since my husband has been loving finding all kinds of new tools to add to his toychest!!
Greg

Remember, You can never have too many toys, 'er I mean tools. Glad you found the help you needed here. Greg
dandjbarrett

:lol: I'm reallllllly happy now!!! The back door is in and looks like it should have been there all the time. I'm tickled pink. We have to go back to Virginia near the end of next week and hopefully the second week of April the construction gang will show up and build our porch. Unlike my husband, I'm a little more afraid the contractor will call to say, ahhhh, I haven't finished up a couple/jobs and its going to be later than I'd planned . . . you know how these things go. :( It'll be nice if I'm wrong and hubby's right. :D
Dreading the trip back north, but we'll be back here before the construction is scheduled. I'm excited.
dandjbarrett

:( I was right. The contractor still hasn't started our porch. It was due to start on Tuesday of this week, but he called to say he was finishing up another project that got delayed due to rain. :cry: Now the start date has been moved to next week. Since rain is in the forecast, who knows when it will begin!! I've been painting up some old wicker furniture which is now ready . . . I just need a porch for it. :lol: :lol: Whatevah!!!
Yanita

LOL,

It will happen, in the meantime finish up the wicker furniture project and think of how you decorate your new space. Maybe even start shopping for some of the things you will want...

Hopefully he will start on time and the rain will pass by!

Yanita
dandjbarrett

Thanks, Yanita. I keep reminding myself that this is the south and we do things a little bit slower down here!!! :cry: LOL. I'm sure eventually it'll get done but I really hope it gets done in time for us to enjoy it THIS year. :)
Yanita

LOL,

Yup, things are much slower in the south, still something I am not used to, I am a Yankee moved to the south. Wouldn't trade it though, well except for the hurricanes and the tornado threats!

Remember the summers here start earlier and last longer than the northern states. Once he gets started it won't take long...hopefully.

Keep us posted!

Yanita
dandjbarrett

YAY, the contractor came by yesterday and said the materials will be delivered today. Construction is supposed to start Tuesday. Needless to say, my husband is totally excited. You'd think we were building the Taj Mahal!!! :)
dandjbarrett

:D Construction has started!!! YAY. Two days ago the crew came out and dug the footers and started the frameup. Work was a little slow yesterday because the footers had to be inspected by the county inspector before concrete could be poured. He didn't show up until after 12 noon, but as soon as he gave it a thumbsup, work commenced. The concrete/rebar, etc are in and the floor has been framed out. The crew should have a full workday today. We still have to clear two more inspections by the county and we'll have a porch. I was worried it would be too small for all the things I want there (small dining table with chairs, wicker loveseat, table & chair, lounger for my husband), but it looks wayyy bigger than I thought. We'll see. :)