YANITA

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Robert

Hey Yanita,

Just checking on ya with the naders dropping down in the Georgia and Carolina areas.

Hope all is ok up that way.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Serena

Yes, please post. There sure were some surprises in Atlanta.
Greg

I just tried calling her, no answer. I have family just north of Atlanta that had a rough day yesterday. They came through it ok, but one spent a lot of tine in the closet with a helmet on. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Mornin everyone!

Thanks sooo much for the concerns, and Greg for calling!

We did have a really bad thunderstorm last night but it really was not as bad as some of what we have been experiencing this spring.

We will no sooner get over this tornado crap and it will be time for the hurricane season.

I have lived in NC now for 13 years and this is the absolute worst year we have had with tornado's.

Up North we tired of the long cold snowy winters, well at this time I am thinking give me back the snow shovel, blower and plow! As Greg said to me this morning "at least they know they will still have a home standing after a snow storm!"

Ok friends, will post back latter, and again, your concern is much appreciated!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Yep

I was concerned too.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Demolition

I spent a summer in Palmico Sound NC
we ate seafood every meal.
Glad you are OK
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Mark
Site Admin

We bitch how cold it's been all winter up here in northern South Dakota, but that's nothing compared to those of you who have to continually duck bad storms.

Robert tells me he's been ducking tornados all winter -- and tornado season just offically started. Gees.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Harry

Yep

And more bad weather today.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

The wind has been short of if not gale force all day. My poor Monte has done nothing but get sand blasted. Saw shingles on the front lawn today when I pulled in coming home from work....ohhh sh!t.

When walking around the house and garage, thankfully they are from the garage and not the house. well in the grand scheme of things anyways.

We certainly had plenty of spring projects, guess we get to add another, this one at the top of the list though!

Yanita
Robert

Yep, just came up for air after 1.5 days of hide -n-seek, tired of playing that game.

It now is officially tornado season here from Oct thru May (8 non-stop months).

June thru Sept., we still keep a look out.

The entire length of home #1 has been shredded from top of wall, looks like a partially opened sardine can.

Have picked out location for storm shelter at home #2 and will be first big investment there.

Here is a good example of what we put up with:

Standing in front yard looking up at sun in sky and my shadow on ground with lightening 360* around me within 100 yards and hail falling on my head from sky above.

Deadly tornado has just passed on Feb.5, 2008.

After 19 total years of living here (2 seperate times), still gets old.

Robert
Last edited by Robert on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

What are you going to use/do as a storm shelter?

We never really considered one before, but as of late it has crossed my mind, just have a heard time thinking I want to get into something under ground. Guess I am afraid a bunch of whatever will land on top and then I am stuck!

So your home got ripped opened? Wow, where you guys there?

Must be you are living in home #2 now?

Thankfully our storms/tornado's are not the monsters that you guys get.

I love living out here in the country, but the storms seem to be more intense, maybe I am more sensitive to them now, not buffered by other homes in a park!

Yanita
Robert

Hi Yanita,

It didn't open it up, but tore/ripped metal siding from home on exterior and left wood sheathing bare.

It has happened again 2 more times before getting repaired due to weather and made it worse.

We were at other home first time and last night and here the second time.

Now gotta try to find a match color style of metal siding to repair good enough to sell.

No, not over there yet, still dealing with the brown recluses, alot better, but the intensive poison dusting and treatments is everywhere.

Some got on my hands while working over there and burned my skin on my fingers, knuckles and hands.

I have now accepted how bad it is there and as soon as summer comes, will rectify at our expense.

Can't live there as is and cannot legally sell it, but wouldn't sell it anyway unless Donna ask me too.

When done, it will be half double-wide and half regular conventional home, BUT it won't have any brown recluse spiders.

Or, at least no more than anyone else, as Tennessee is one of top states for them.

You have the shelter installed into side of a bank or terrace with door on the side.

You're not really underground so much as in the ground.

You won't get trapped and make sure lots of people know about it to ensure someone comes to check on you also afterwards.

You should also not have trees around that area to help also. They have air pipes, so no problem waiting for help if in a rare instance, something blocks door.

Robert