Any recommendations for a digital camera?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

oldfart

M'am I'm awful late at this post but if you haven't already purchased a digital camera do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Consumer Reports magazine relating to just this subject. They don't take advertisements for anybody and they report facts only...no B.S.! Digital cameras have dropped in price so much in the past 3 years it's incredible. Don't just look at the "mega-pixels" cameras offer. There's a lot more to it than that. One of the first things I'd look at is the power-source for any camera. Is it a rechargable Ni-Cad or Lithium battery pack (charger included) or does it use AA batteries? If it uses AA batteries only, avoid it like the plague it is. Some cameras will only take a half-dozen high-def photos before it inhales a set of AA batteries. Next item..what does it use to store the images? CompactFlash or some other medium? Check the prices on the various cards. This is the little thing you install and remove from the camera to store the photos/video memory. For still-photos a 1 gigabite card will hold a LOT of photos..(I think it was 1600 in standard mode..half that in high-def. mode) in video mode it will last just a few minutes. Include sound and it drops even less. Another thought is how many features do you really want? I'm using an old Nikon CoolPix 775 which is soooo obsolete it's not funny. This is just a 2.1 mega-pixal camera. It takes better pictures than most 35mm. film cameras I've owned/used. The dial on the top of the camera has 10 different features/shooting modes. I've used 2. Auto-focus and video/movie. Video/movie... inhales. When you do make your choice..look for a good (read easy to use) program to do what you want with your photos. I'd reccomend MGI PhotoSuite 2. Yes, it's an oldy but a goody. (circa 1993) It's simple, easy to understand..and... simple. I hated MGI 3 and all their "updates." Adobe is for the pros. JMHO of course. Audie..the Oldfart..
Serena

Thanks, everyone. I'll do some reading and go for some test drives. I do appreciate your help. :)
Serena

It's that strange realm of what features do I really want and how much is wanting to be a kid with a very nifty, new toy? Hmmmm......

Bill, thanks for pointing out the need for optical stabilizing. I would like to have the choice between auto and manual, but that makes these contraptions mighty pricey. This one's also got a 3" LCD screen, and the necessary rechargeable battery.

In sticking with the tiny, point and shoot category, does anyone have this particular camera? The Canon SD 870

http://www.photoaficionado.com/reviews/sd870is.html

Thanks again.