FEMA and Formaldehyde

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Silver Bullet 00

What do you think about all this fuss about formaldehyde in mobile/manufactured homes used after the Gulf Coast hurricane. Every new MFH I was in had that warning posted and sames goes for the Fleetwood I purchased new in 1999. All you had to do was open the place up and let the fresh air remove the odor. All my odor was gone in a few days. The way they are writing about the formaldehyde, no one will want to buy a MFH or travel trailer. I assume the odor comes from the plastic wood used in many of the homes and how tight the homes are during storage and shipment. If was so unhealthy, why isn't HUD doing something about it??
Yanita

Hi,

There is another thread with alot of info on this topic, FEMA MOBILES in HOPE ARK. There are some links there as well.

I bought a new Oakwood in 99 as well and yes, there were all kinds of info about the use of formaldehyde in the drawers with all the other paperwork!

I did have some horrible headaches for a few days, but our home came during the heat of the southern summer months. When I realized what was happening we shut off the AC, endured the heat and humidity for a few days, aired the home out and then never had another problem.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!