tax break

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

shell

these items are probably answered in previous articles but right now i need help quick.....i have '99 single wide, i live in tx, and this is the last yr. to be able to claim energy improvement home repairs. we have switched to cfl bulbs but other than that i'm not sure what we can claim. what exactly are considered 'storm widows'? we have what i guess you call 'double pane'. you open the inside window and then open the other one too? mh's don't really have 'attics' so what can you do there? the sticky tape foam stripping doesn't really help b/c it comes off quickly or just tears. as in most mh's there are about 3" from the top of the carpet to the bottom of the door. (you can hear everything) we had new skirting applied AGAIN after our most recent hurricane, 'huemberto'. southeast tx is really hot and extremely humid so we have a large dehumidifier. the outside a/c unit is only 3. the a/c guy says not to close ANY vents anywhere but the temp diff between one end to the other is huge and he says it doesn't matter where the unit is placed and that no we shouldn't build some sort of shade cover over it even if it's tall. (he says the heat bearing down on it doesn't affect it's effinciency) we did have thermal backed curtains until we had a mold issue and they were ruined and we haven't been able to afford to replace them. a/c filter and coils cleaned and changed regularly. i know it's a lot of ?'s but i need quick answers folks..........thanks so much guys! shell
Yanita

Hi Shell,

Follow the link that I provided.

If still uncertain your local tax preparer can answer all your questions.

Most of these credits are for energy efficient appliances, furnaces, AC, washers, major insulation improvements, replacement windows, doors, water heaters etc..all big dollar investments. As stated in the article not ALL energy star items are qualified for a tax credit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=p ... ax_credits

Yanita

PS...I am going to move this to Off Topic forums as this is not HVAC related.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Check all ductwork for blockages and make sure A-Coil and filter stays clean.

He's right, do not close the registers, but is wrong about condenser outside.

Providing shade will increase efficiency, just be sure you have a minimum of 72" above unit.

More is better to keep hot air from coming back into unit.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?