homeowners insurance

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Yanita

You are 100% correct Harry. To anyone that lives with these conditions please call your insurance carrier and be sure you are both on the same page and very clear on what your policy covers.

I too am out of reach of the FEMA flood zone areas, in fact a foot or so after the 500 year flood plans, but at either rate I do have flood insurance. Mandated by by mortgage holder.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Put in your address and the Federal governments National Flood Insurance Program will tell you your flood risk .... according to their data base. You can also get an instant insurance cost estimate at this site.

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pa ... 37EA44BA22

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Harry

Hi

Well I asked Foremost again for a quote and again they turned me down. See below:

Dear Harry :

Thank you for inquiring about the Mobile Home Insurance we offer through the AARP Mobile Home Insurance Program. While we do insure mobile homes in your state, we are not accepting new policies in all areas.

Unfortunately, CITRUS County is one of those where we are not able to accept new business.

Sincerely,
Jo Ann Bateman
Foremost AARP Member Services

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hey Harry,

Great link, thanks!

Hopefully those that live in our type of areas will use that to see what there risk are if they don't already know.

Yanita
texasprairierose

We are insured through Foremost as well. After reading what Yanita and Koiflowers pay for their coverage, we may have to do some research. We live in the Texas Panhandle, do not have (or need) flood insurance and we are paying a premium of $185.00 per MONTH :?
Yanita

WOW!

That is an incredible amount for homeowners insurance. I think I would be calling and making sure they have their numbers right!

The downside to changing companies is alot of companies offer minimal coverage with high premiums. Foremost does have the best coverage and pay out on claims.

Please let us know what you find out with Foremost or another company.

Yanita
Koiflowers

You are penalized for prior claims. On a house I was flipping in Texas they penalized me for a claim I had made in the D.C. area (a breakin with $10,000 damage to house). I was penalized even though I was no longer in a high-risk crime area and the home I was insuring was in a very safe community on the lake. I was also using an entirely different insurance company. So for the next house we flipped, we put the insurance in my sons name and received a much better premium.

Also I went to the site Harry mentioned and our current home is a 9-1/2 on the FEMA flood plan. Go figure.
texasprairierose

We are out of state right now, but I am going to check on our policy when we get back home and I will let you know what I find out.

We have been with Foremost for 14 years and our premiums have always been high...in 1994 we were paying $140.00 a month. To make matters worse, we have never even filed a claim!

It is nice to know that Foremost pays on claims...after paying them close to $30,000.00 over the last 14 years, I would hate to think that they would balk at paying on a claim!
Harry

Hi texasprairierose

What coverage do you have?

$185.00 a month may be a bargain if you have lots of coverage.

Harry
Koiflowers

Three cheers for Texas, and no State Income Tax for good measure.

Hochheim Prairie Farm Mutual Insurance Association. Providing coverage for small towns and rural areas of Texas.

$38,000 - home
$7,600 - loss of use
$3,800 - Other private structures on property
$3,000 - Personal Property off premises
$30,000 - Personal Property
$50 premium reduction for no claims & new structure (under 10 years?)
$500 - Deductible
Replacement Cost for reimbursements

Total: $481 per year

$40,000 - Garage (we have a 2 story well-built garage)
Total: $173 per year

$300,000 liability rider $39 per year billed separately.

This is our new insurance policy. Foremost was moderately increasing our premium after 8 claim-free years, so we switched. Maybe it was Hurricane Rita hitting our County in 2005. I forgot we switched providers because the premium is drafted from our account each month.
texasprairierose

Harry,

I will have to look at our policy when I get back home later this week.

Watch out for tornadoes out your way today :(

Koiflowers,

Thanks for the breakdown...I will compare it to our policy and see how ours stack up.
Sylvia

Harry,
Keep in mind homeowners does more than protect your home. It also protects you from getting sued if someone trips and falls and bumps thier head or falls down your stairs. Liability insurance is very important to have. People love to sue each other, it's a national past time it seems at this point.
texasprairierose

Hi all,

We are back home and I am looking at my declaration page from Foremost; it isn't as detailed as Koiflowers but here is the info.

Limits of liability

Mobile Home: $67,797.00
Adjacent Structures: $14,500.00
Personal Effects $39,000.00

Personal Liability

Personal Liability: $300,000.00 (each accident)
Medical pmts to others: $1,000.00 (each person)

Does $185.00 per month seem too high for this coverage?
Harry

Hi

For the coverage you have that's about what you'd have to pay in Florida.

Harry
texasprairierose

Harry,

Thanks...at least that gives me some prospective.

BTW how was your Valentine's Day?