homeowners insurance

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

momof8

Are there reputable companies out there what insure mobil homes?
We just moved into a 1998 Fleetwood moble home.
Our present company quoted a pretty hefty amount for very little coverage.
Just wondering if there are other options.
Harry

Hi

Have you tryed Foremost? Where do u live?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
momof8

I live in north Alabama.
Harry

Hi

Here's a link to Foremost. Let us know how you do.

http://www.foremost.com/products/mobile_home/

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

check with who carries you auto, many offer package deals. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
momof8

thanks so much. I will let you know how it goes.
Yanita

Hi,

I had a little chat with my insurance company just last week. Combining my home with my autos, my auto insurance company will not insure my home unless I have a new roof put on it...LOL, it had a new roof, complete new sheathing and shingles 6 years ago.

She also went on to say that insurance companies are really getting tough with things like trampolines, pools, trees to close to your home, nothing can over hang the roof, railings and deck boards on decks/stairs.

Even went on to say that for new insurance policies these folks will have to endure a rep from the company to come out and do a look around.

Now I have all vehicles insured with Nationwide and this is who I had this conversation with. She asked who my homeowners is with...Foremost..she laughed and said never mind I have the best company I can get for the money and the coverage.

I am going to move this thread to the OT (Off Topic forum) as it is not repair related, please follow us there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Foremost will not insure me because I am on the coast. I do check with them periodically to see if they have changed their their position. They are suppose to be the best ...if you can get the coverage.

Harry
Yanita

Hey Harry,

I have Foremost, and I live about an hour from the coast, but still well within range of hurricanes and been the bulls eye of several.

I got my coverage, new policy, from them when we bought this place almost 2 years ago..but I pay dearly, $1041.00 yearly, but I am covered by everything that nature can throw my way except landslides, I also have a replacement cost rider as well.

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry

Hi Yanita

We pay through the nose for insurance. Can't remember the number at the moment. Mental block I suppose.

We do not have a mortgage so we do not HAVE to insure. We are always toying with the idea of going uninsured. It'd be my luck to have a total loss as soon as I dropped the insurance.

At what point do you go uninsured???

Harry

PS: no one that insures autos here will insure homeowners.
Yanita

Well Harry,

If I answered honestly I might not have alot of friends left here...but I will give it a tactful reply...hopefully.

Keep in mind LOL, that I am one of those that would rather pay a monthly, yearly premium than to loose everything and not be able to replace it.

When to not insure, never, IMO. For our vehicles mine is the newest and completely insured and will remain so as long as I own it. Hubby only has liability but his vehicles seldom go further than the local landfill, less than a mile down the road, and they are real old.

The home, everything is insured. This is where any readers need to have a fairly open mind, or please do not read this and leave thinking I am judging anyone. I believe that being a homeowner in part means you do everything you can to protect your home, and that includes insurance. I do not feel that it is up to Government agencies to replace/repair our homes, maybe give a place to go temporarily during a natural disaster, but certainly not compensate for our homes for any reason.

LOL, it's kinda like owning a dog, you take it out to do it's business, you water and feed it, not your neighbors. You also foot all the bills that come with that animal...I am not a dog owner and therefore do not want to pay for one...

Yanita
Koiflowers

We have Foremost full coverage for $55 a month. We got the full force of hurricane Rita. Not too far from Houston, lots of damage in the County and declared a disaster area. Fortunately no increase in premiums.

We switched to AARP Hartford insurance on our automobiles. We had Nationwide (no wrecks or tickets ever) on our truck and car at $100 each per month. AARP full coverage is $78 per month for both vehicles. I was astounded at the savings we got by switching to AARP. However AARP insurance on site built home was outrageous. It pays to shop around.
Harry

Yanita wrote: I do not feel that it is up to Government agencies to replace/repair our homes, maybe give a place to go temporarily during a natural disaster, but certainly not compensate for our homes for any reason.
Yep

Since "Government agencies" are funded by our tax dollars I agree with you in concept.... Eventhough the "grant" money I know of is/was capped at $22,000.00. To qualify for that you had to have no insurance, couldn't work and could not repay a "low interest disaster loan".

Similarly I dislike my tax dollars being spent to cover folks who show up at emergency rooms for treatment without health insurance and never pay the bill.

Harry
chasMB

She just got the ins. renewal for this place, Not bad $1200 a year, New policy with this company (American Family Home), Just no flood insurance. We are too close to the coast and too high of an elevation to ever get a flood here. You have to go to a 500 year flood projection for us to get water a foot deep. Any "flood damage" we ever get will be hurricane related and we have that plus wind damage.
Harry

Yo chasMB

Please double check.

Storm surge from a hurricane is also considered flood damage and not covered by your homeowner’s hurricane policy. This coverage must be purchased separately through he Federal Government’s National Flood Insurance Program.

Lots of folks with hurricane related damage had claims denied because their damage was actually flood damage as defined by the NFIP.

Harry