FEMA Offering Refunds on Trailer Sales

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

zeraph

FEMA Offering Refunds on Trailer Sales

23 hours ago (AP Google newswire)

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Federal Emergency Management Agency, responding to concerns about formaldehyde in trailers issued to hurricane survivors, said Thursday that it would offer refunds to people who bought them after their initial use.

The federal government began selling trailers in 2006 through online auctions and to victims of the intense 2005 hurricane season. Sales were suspended in July last year because of the fears about formaldehyde, which can cause respiratory problems.

Hundreds of people in Louisiana and Mississippi are suing manufacturers, accusing them of providing FEMA with trailers that contained high levels of the toxin after hurricanes Katrina and Rita, which devastated much of the Gulf Coast.

FEMA said that 10,839 travel trailers and park models were sold by the federal General Services Administration at an average price of $6,936, and that 864 trailers were sold directly to hurricane victims.

The agency said it would e-mail buyers to notify them of the refund option. Buyers have 60 days to request a refund, FEMA said.

U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt, who is presiding over formaldehyde cases filed on behalf of 723 people, met with attorneys on both sides Thursday in New Orleans.

Henry Miller, a lawyer for FEMA, said the agency has received only 20 formaldehyde-related claims that it considers "legally sufficient."

FEMA says the trailers won't be used as temporary shelters for disaster victims until safety concerns are addressed.

In late December, government scientists began measuring formaldehyde levels in hundreds of FEMA trailers. Preliminary results are due next month, and a final report is expected to be released in May.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More information on formaldehyde:

FEMA trailers were produced very quickly by several companies. In the rush to finish the trailers, some companies used unsafe materials. Paint, adhesives, insulation, and particleboard used to fabricate the trailers may contain formaldehyde. As the trailer ages, formaldehyde is released into the air in a process called “outgassing.”

Just 0.1 parts per million of formaldehyde can cause burning, watery eyes, nausea, and breathing problems for some people. The Sierra Club tested 44 FEMA trailers and found levels three times that high in some trailers. Elderly people and children may be more likely to get sick. Formaldehyde is a potential human carcinogen, linked to a specific type of throat cancer.

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against FEMA

On May 18, 2007, Parker Waichman Alonso Mark LLP, Gainsburgh, Benjamin, David, Meunier & Warshauer, L.L.C., Law Offices of Daniel E. Becnel, Jr. and the Law Offices of Ronnie G. Penton have filed a class action lawsuit against the private contractors as well as the federal government on behalf of individuals who sustained serious injuries as a result of being exposed to formaldehyde while living in a trailer provided by FEMA. The case was filed in United States District Court in the Eastern District of Louisiana (Docket number 07-2961). Go to http://www.toxicfematrailer.com/html/lawsuit.html to fill out a form for a free consultation, or call 1-800-LAW-INFO.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The use of formaldehyde-containing materials in any type of travel trailer is unregulated. Formaldehyde outgassing causes a distinct smell that is sometimes associated with burning, watery eyes and many other symptoms. Some have called this smell the "new car smell." The outgassing decreases as the trailer ages and in colder temperatures. Ventilation helps to clear the air.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site, and thanks for the info.

Since this is not a repair question I am going to move it to Off Topic.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Just my opinion here, but once again we have a miss directed lawsuit. FEMA may not be the agency it should be but they are in a no win situation here. If they fail to attempt to provide housing they are at fault. They DID attempt to provide for the needs of the people affected and through the fault of the manufacturers that could meet the needs of the affected people they are still to blame.
It is time to overhaul the leagal system in this country and go after the people that are at FAULT, not the deepest pockets.
OK, I'll get off my little soap box now. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Yo Greg

- I don't think our litigious society will be changing anytime soon.

- You just have to love how FEMA spends our tax dollars.

- Looks like FEMAs vendors will kick in something though.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Just wondering here, but aren't most mobile homes constructed with materials that contain formaldehyde?

When Hubby and I bought a new single wide in 97 it had all sorts of papers in the kitchen drawers that mentioned this, with some warnings.

As of late I have been looking at homes with a friend and some of these homes have the same paperwork...

As for litigation, since I am not the "sue you" type I will refrain commenting on that.

Yanita
JD
Site Admin

I remember always smelling that smell in new mobile homes we set up. I haven't been in the new ones for a long time, maybe it is different now. Maybe that smell is something else, I don't know.

While I am also not a sue you type, I am also not a sue me type. Greg is right. Lawyers going after the easy money. Pummel FEMA enough and they will fold and dish out the money. FEMA isn't selling trailers for money. They sell them to ease a storage problem and to attempt to disguise glut. FEMA money is OUR money, our tax dollars.

The lawsuit should be against the makers of the trailers, the one with the commercial interests. They are making money and we are spending money. But they have already stated that the rapid production and release of these trailers was because of pressure from FEMA to get these trailers out. I don't doubt that. But I don't see how that excuses them of their responsibility. I know as a contractor, I can't claim that I cut corners due to customer pressure and get away with it. The manufacturer should be ultimately responsible for their action. They are the ones that need to say that the product is ready for use. But the lawyers will stand on the point that FEMA was aware of the problem (at some point) and did not act on it. It is easier and less messy for FEMA to dole out more of those tax dollars.

:evil: I am going to kick a curb or something! Maybe I can sue the city for lack of a warning sign. (Yeah, I know. "Here's your sign!")

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Yep

Looks like up to $1.4 billion dollars doled out in BOGUS claims for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13310790/

Harry

PS: I'm just the messenger.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

LOL HArry, be careful being the messenger..they get shot!

Yanita
Demolition

If it is the carpet and upholstery, they can just gut the trailer and put new stuff in it.

If they go out and get a job they won't have time to sit around the house breathing formaldehyde.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Harry

10-4 Yanita

FEMA gets me going so to speak.

I'm attracted to controversial issues........like a moth to a flame. LOL

Harry