water lines

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jazzbo

I will be leaving for a week in Feb. If I shut off the incoming line, will I have problems w/freezing pipes? I'm in upstate NY where it gets "brutal" !!!! Or should I just leave everything on ?

Since you live in upstate NY, you should have heat tape installed on your water line to prevent freeze-ups. If you don't, then you've been living on borrowed time anyway. Without it your pipes could freeze overnight while you are there sleeping, never mind over a week away. If you do have a working heat tape installed, the only reason to completely turn off the water is if you are concerned about a pipe bursting from other reasons while you are gone. Many people do shut off their water while away from the MH for extended periods because of the possible damage an unnoticed leak can cause, but that is true in any season.
Silver Bullet 00

Assuming all your under home lines are insulated I definitely would shut off the incoming water. If they are not insulated, you got work to do. At least with the incoming shut off, any cracks will only leak till all the inside water runs out. Leaving the incoming on, and might come home to a skating rink. I'm sure up there you have heat tape on your incoming lines and you leave some heat on in the house while your gone.
Jerry

you might want to think about the power going off while you're gone heat tapes dont work without electricity
Greg

Jazz, since it is only a week I would shot the water off (just in case) and just leave the heat set @50*. Heat tape is a must. I feel that spending the time to do a full winterization for only a week would not be worth it assuming the furnace will be fine for the week. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."