Removing Store Lettering from Window

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

Over this holiday weekend we're in the process of moving our store to a larger space.

Does anyone know how to remove the lettering from windows? Scraping don't work. Maybe heat the lettering then scrape? Or is there a special solution to first spray on the letters?

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Greg

Mark, what type of letters? vynil I usually heat & scrape, you can use a strong citrus cleaner to dissolve the adhisive.
If it is paint, run to the auto store and get a can of either gasket stripper or choke & throttle cleaner. use caution, if you drip the stripper or choke cleaner on a finished surface it will mark it up.
As a last resort a 16oz hammer does a great job! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hey Mark,

Yup, need to know what type of product was used to put the letters on, are they etched???

LOL, tell you like I do the rest...can you post a pic?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

The letters are vinyl. I was hoping to try a heat gun later today, but didn't have a chance. Maybe tomorrow.

Mark
HouseMedic

Mark,
If it is on glass you should be able to scrape it with a new, sharp wall paper scraper. If the letters are very old they get hard so just hit them with a heat gun or good blow dryer first then scape.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Greg

I have found that with the vinyl decales on our equipment, tempeture makes all the difference in the world. at 30* it may as well be painted on, at 50* you can usually peel it off, at 90* you have all you can do to keep it on! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cottonlily

Have you tried Goo Gone? (Clear bottle, yellow gel-liquid, black top). You can get it at WalMart. I know it's for removing residue, but we used it to remove the sticker and residue off our MH window after we moved in. Also was good for bumper sticker off a mirror.
Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

I got the vinyl window lettering removed. I had my heat gun handy, but I didn't need to use it even tho the window was about 30 degrees. A good window scraper took the letters right off. Any remaining residue was quickly removed by spraying Goof-Off. Worked very slick!

Mark

Yanita

Hey,

Glad you got it done and was easier than anticipated...so once it is relettered you gonna share a pic of the new store front?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

Store is coming together very slowly due to my usual lack of time. I don't even have signs ordered for the front yet. Carol starts full-time in hopefully 2 weeks. That will hopefully go a Godsend in helping me get things done.

When I do get the store done, I'll videotape a walkthru and post it with a link to YouTube or someplace so everyone can check it out! Plus I also hope to have a live webcam of us working in the store.

Meanwhile, I'm spending too much time training the Park Manager who's taking my place. Hopefully those hours get a lot less this week. Also tomorrow I got a tech person coming in to check out my computer network. It goes against my grain to hire someone to work on my computers, but I got some quirks that are driving me nuts. So when he comes, I'll be right there nose-to-nose with him. Hopefully I'll learn a lot and won't need to call anyone again anytime soon.

Stay tuned. . . .

Mark