shoveling snow from roof

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

SpongeBob

Greetings, typical crown style roof on the SW. Rubber membrane on top of the metal roof. Typical 1"x2" trusses with panel pieces for gussetts. Is this adviseable to go up and remove the snow with a shovel? Do snow rakes work on this mostly flat roof? Will the snow rake damage the rubber membrane.....sorry, but not haveing a very good day worrying about this with more snow & rain on the way. -Bob
Yanita

Hi SpongeBob,

Personally I feel that a roof rake is a much better option, although others may disagree.

In really cold temps I find that things snap and break opposed to flex and bend. I am also an avid believer in staying off MH roofs unless absolutely necessary.

In my years of being up North we always used a roof rake and I found it never removed the snow cleanly to the roof surface. If done carefully your rubber membrane should be fine.

The important thing is to get that weight off your roof and make sure that all your roof vents are cleared of snow as well.

Maybe others will have more thoughts...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
SpongeBob

Thanks Yanita......kinda what I thought also. My wife wouldn't allow me up there anyway with my medications (lol). I'm heading down to the big box store now to get a snow rake. Thank you for all the support you give on here.
-Bob
Greg

I have used a roof rake with a plastic blade for years, no problems. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

Your wife is a very wise woman. We get several falls ending in death in this area every other winter. It's usually the elderly DIY'ers trying to save the $30 cost of a snow rake.