foundation

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

site

hello, new member here.
this isnt something iam doing my self, iam buying my sisters mh, wich is a double wide 98 model. iam not sure of the make are model number, but i know it is not old. well maybe 10 years, but anyway, it is sitting on 6 acres of land in the country, my question is are concern is, it has no foundation. it is sitting on blocks wich is siting on dirt. i know this cant be good for the place settling, so has anyone had concrete pourd underneath the MH before? are any advice on a better way to have it sitting, i realy dont like the idea of it not being on a stable foundation.

thanks for any input
Greg

Hi & welcome. Yes pads can be poured after the home is in place. Your best bet would be to contact a contractor in your area. Check the codes for your area first to find out what is required first. If possible I would go down 3' in the areas that you will use for support piers and then a 4" slab for the remainder. Go slightly outside where the skirting is now to make skirting installation easier. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
site

thanks for the input, glad to know i can still have a slab poured.
i willl be taking your advice,
Demolition

Even if the unit is on concrete, it can still get blown away in a tornado. The Anchors just anchor the frame to the ground or concrete slab.

If the house is not level, find a licensed mobile home installer in your area. Get an Estimate on re-leveling the house. I think it will be less than $1,000
It will surely be less than pouring a slab and they have to re-level the house after the slab is poured anyway.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Yanita

Hi,

I would guess that a very high percentage of mobile homes sit on concrete blocks on dirt, I know mine does and has for 35 years. We have been thru several hurricanes, and this home shifts very little. I live in NC so our weather does not vary much from yours.

To pour footers and a full slab now would cost alot of money, but that choice is yours.

Have you reviewed the Purchasing a Used Mobile Home article in the stickies section in the Repair Forum? If not now would be a good time to do so. You can also print this out and take it with you.

Beings that you live in Georgia frost heaves are not really a concern, hence the reason I doubt you really need a full foundation.

JMO,

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!