New Home Owner...

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Ellasmom

I recently went through a divorce and sold my stick built. I have been searching for a place, and would love to own a mobile home because of all the luxary for less (in my eyes). But can't afford to buy one and pay park rent.. I found out a neighborhood that actually has a neighborhood of mobiles on .35 acres of land. There are about 4 that are for sale, and one is just a .35 lot that had a home there at one time.. has a well and septic already there, along with a cement slab to put a new home on, with the electricity still there going to that slab. (That was just from my observation...) basically it's ready to put up a new home right there..

I am looking for anyone to direct me to a site that I can learn more about how much it wil cost to put up a new home, or which home is better to get, etc..

There is one home that is already in place, it's a 1990 home that is a double wide and very spacious that I really loved.. So I wanted to really see what the price difference would be.. etc..

Thanks,
Jenny

PS--All help is appreciated, and thanks so much in advance.
Greg

Jenny, Hi & welcome. Since this is a world wide (and we do get hits from overseas) forum, we really cannot say one brand is better than the other. Many brands are regional. My best advice would be to ask around, drive through some parks in your area and talk to people. Ask a few mobile home dealers in your area, they can also give you an idea on setup costs also.
If you are serious about the double wide, Yanita has a check list of things to look for at the beginning of the repair section. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Ellasmom

Greg,
Thank you so much!! I appreciate your response!!

Jenny
Yanita

Hi,

Buying a used Mobile can be fun and rewarding...or...it can be your worse nightmare if you are not knowledgeable in what you are looking at. Glad to see that you are doing some homework before you purchase.

As Greg said, I wrote up a Guideline to follow when purchasing a used home. This is just a guideline so please do not consider it a legal inspection. Go to the repair forum and just above where the post are is a "sticky".

Print off the Guideline info and use it as you look thru the different homes. Also please feel free to come back and post some pics if you have questions. A professional; inspection is always recommended BEFORE purchase.

Cost of homes and set ups vary drastically from one area to another, best advice is whatever you get an estimate on get at least 3 of them....

Good luck and keep us posted on your new purchase!

Yanita

Also, as Greg, mentioned when it comes to brand names these homes are constructed differently depending on the area that they are intended to be set up in.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Ellasmom

Thank you Yanita.. and thank you for all you do with this forum.. It's a great place and really a lifesaver.. I love this place already.. By the way Yanita.. I love your signature.. one of my favorite quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt.. What an amazing woman..

Anyways.. I just put an offer on the home.. I'm going to post the pics of the mobile on my profile.. I can pay asking price as it's a VERY good price, but because of it being a buyers market, I gave a very low asking price. So now the waiting game.. :) I'm on my way to put the pics up of the place.. Thanks again!

Jenny
Yanita

Thanks Jenny for the compliments!

Wow looks to be a good sized lot, and the home looks nice as well. Cant wait to see some inside pics.

Now I caution you to forget about the pretty, placement of furniture etc while you are "inspecting" this home... you need to focus on what if any maintenance has been done thru the years, please print off the "Guideline" and check each item that is listed, then get an a pro inspector to check the home as well!

Trust me, you will be be glad that you did. There have been many unhappy buyers on this forum for not knowing what to look for and latter only to discover some costly repairs awaited them!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Happy Halloween, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Ellasmom

Thank you so much Yanita, I did print off the list and brought it with me today as the engineer went in to examine the home. The engineer was great in taking the list, and going through everything with me. And then some.. Seems that since it's a well that they are having sediment issues.. He says they might have to pull up the pump a bit... The septic looks great but should be pumped out.. normal things with new homes. Showed me where certain pipes need to be better insulated. Also showed me how the decks weren't made very well and needed some joists (I think) to hold them together. ANd then explained the way they are leanig up against the house. The roof is in excellent condition.. The forced heat is great.. Told e it wouldn't be all that expensive to put in central air.. (That would be nice)..

I can't remember everything.. lol. I will have to wait till I get the engineering report.. The other quesion is.. The well pump, and water tank are in a hole dug into the ground. They are about 5 feet down. Is this normal? What can I put over top of the hole? Currently there is a cover.. but kids can easily move it.

Thanks,
Jenny
Greg

Jenny, Well depth depends totally on location. I know of some wells over 300' deep, others just below the surface. I personally would not trust a well only 5' deep, that is more surface water than anything else unless they found a spring. I would have it tested to make sure it is good water. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Ellasmom

Hi Gregg,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.. this is just a 5' deep hole in the ground that houses the water filter, and water pump or heater.. not sure which.. I know there is a well pump in the middle of the yard.. and I think this is the water heater.. I'll get some pics up of it.. to show you what I mean..

Thanks!
jenny