Home Depot and Lowes

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

ImaDufus

I usually go to my local Mom and Pop hardware store for what little I need to purchase for my home. Sometimes a visit to a big box store is necessary. I never have cared for the HD experience because of the the difficulty in getting assistance and long lines at the checkout. Our last visit was especially troubling.

We purchased spray paint. We went to the self checkout because we only had one item. However, spray paint in our area needs to be approved by a supervisor who needs to imput the customer's birthdate. We had to wait quite a long time in order to get someone to override the computer. Only at this point did we realize that there were NO CHECKERS. The only checkouts available were the self checkout kiosks.

We visited a Lowe's the next day. The store is neater, cleaner and appears more spacious. At the store in our area they have assist locations where a customer pushes a button if they need assistance. That alarm goes to an automated announcement over the PA system something like "Customer needs assistance in lighting fixtures." This announcement keeps repeating until a service representative comes to your aid and cancels the call button.

In addition, in big bold signage over the checkout area there is a banner that states, "If there are more than 3 customers in line we will open another checkout."

In our area both Lowes are farther than both Home Depots. But I think I have seen the last of the inside of a Home Depot.

Just my thoughts on Home Depot compared to Lowes. Anyone else have any comments?

Tim
Mark
Site Admin

Really what it comes down to is store management. The Home Depot in your area my be bad, but one in the next big town over may be the best thing since sliced bread.

Of the big box stores, my first preference is Menards, then Lowes then Home Depot. I too don't like the layout of Home Depot.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
JD
Site Admin

Hey Tim,

Like you, we have really cool independent stores here, but they are not close for me. I use the big home stores because they are close and have most of the stuff I need. Lowe's is usually my first choice, but there are pluses and minuses to both of them.

But eventually what happens is HD or Lowes will tick me off so bad, that I will swear off the store forever and only go to the other one. That is until that other one ticks me off so bad, I quit going there for a while.

I see them as a necessary evil with my business. By far, most trips are uneventful and work out fine. They just store anything I will ever need, and just wait for me to come pick it up. Pretty cool when you think about it. But when I wait for 3 weeks for the delivery of a cracked jacuzzi tub, then wait 2 weeks for them to replace it with a reutrned item that is left hand drain, rather than the right hand drain I ordered, it gets pretty frustrating.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

In my location, I have 4 H.D.s & 3 Lowes within a half hour from me. Lowes takes it hands down, Cleaner, better stock and just plain friendlier. I just wish that H.D. wasn't
the only place that carries Ridgid & Ryobi tools. Greg
Last edited by Greg on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
wes

lowes for sure even tho we need to travel 90 miles for the nearest lowes
ImaDufus

wes wrote:lowes for sure even tho we need to travel 90 miles for the nearest lowes
90 miles to the nearest Lowes. Wow.

Mind if I ask you where you live? You really got to be out there. Our HD is three miles away and I have to go 5 miles to a lowes and I consider that an inconvenience.

Man, if you forget something or get the wrong item that has to be a real bummer.

When I lived in New Mexico, I met a guy that lived on a ranch that had a 33 mile driveway. They didnt get to town much. They had a propane refrigerator and his mom washed clothes using a Honda generator. they used coleman lamps for interior lighting. He said they got up at daybreak and went to be at sunset to save fuel.

We in the burbs dont realize how good we have it.

Tim
Robert

I prefer Lowe's, but actually have better experiences at my two closest Home Depots.

Like JD, it just depends on my needs and recent experiences, but HD has definately gotten the most business.

Just depends on store management and employees as a whole from one location to next.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
bilbar25

Mark wrote:Really what it comes down to is store management. The Home Depot in your area my be bad, but one in the next big town over may be the best thing since sliced bread.

Of the big box stores, my first preference is Menards, then Lowes then Home Depot. I too don't like the layout of Home Depot.

Mark

Mark:

Menards really IS the best since "sliced bread".....feel for those who have no Menards in their area!!

Bill
[color=red]When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice![/color]
Robert

Yep, I'd never heard of Menard's except as a Nascar sponsor until I came here way back many moons ago, LOL.

That's when I found out who/what Menard's was.

Still have never been in one, but from Mark sending me needed items from there, I wish we had one here.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Harry

Hi

Menard's locations:

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
wes

ImaDufus wrote:
90 miles to the nearest Lowes. Wow.
homedepot is about 2 miles but the service is horrible. the few that do care are so busy that it's impossible to get them to help in any decent amount of time and the turnover is terrible. ya never know who's gonna be there. lowes is a bit more expensive but the selection and service is better than hd here. menards is even farther like 130 miles. i suffer from halfheimerz sooooo...we make a list

we have 2 local building supply places but the prices are outrageous. besides, going to lowes gets us out of town.
Sylvia

We have a superduper Menards opening within a week here, and it's on the way home from work.

I like Lowes better here though for customer service, at least some of the employees. Several know me and greet me by name when I come in and try to help me personally. I asked one of them why once and how did they even remember me? Answer: "Sylvia, you're here all the time buying things for your place, which must be beautiful by now, is it almost done?" Answer, "Not yet" lol

The closet HD is 60 miles away but they have WONDERFUL prices. We got all the molding for the downstairs there at a fraction of what it would cost at Menards or Lowe's. The people there were very friendly as well. I'm sure if I was there as much as I am at Lowe's they'd also know me by name. :shock:
Jim from Canada

We only have HD here in Canada. We have Rona too, but they vary widely from store to store. I don't use the one in town here, but travel 20 min. to the next one. Wish Lowes and Menards would expand into Canada. There are a lot of great smaller and independant stores here though.

Jim
Manitoba Bill

I usually check out Home Hardware B4 the other 2 in Winnipeg.
Plus other smaller stores.

It's funny but I passed a house getting new siding this morning and the house wrap had Menard's brand name all over it.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Ketta

A lot of you will probably laugh at my complaints, considering distances. I live in a fairly large city, and to me having to travel any farther than a couple miles is pure hell. So, since there's a HD right across the street, I STILL haven't been to a Lowe's...because it's two exits away and through nasty traffic snarls.

My HD isn't too bad, compared to others. They have good stock and if you're determined enough you can drag an employee by their orange apron strings to wherever you need help. Checkout is my least favourite part, as it always seems backed up.

My mother lives in an area where the HD is a joke, and like the original poster says, her Lowe's is fabulous in comparison.

I suppose for me, my problem is I don't like people much in the sense of how terribly rude and selfish they are as drivers and fellow shoppers. I grew up in the 'sticks', where a trip to town was an EVENT and lots of things got done because it was an hour drive to get there. People are nicer and more conscious of how their actions affect others. And they know what personal space is!

The Lowe's closest to me is barely a mile away. You'd think I'd get over the traffic and the people for a better experience, but I live on an island with only one way on and off of it, via a major interstate, and the traffic design is far below what's needed for good flow. Yay Portland!