Are low taxes worth investing into a old mobile home to make it more energy efficient?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

spazatac

Hey everyone! I'm new around here.

I bought a mobile home in the middle of nowhere 45 minutes from town last year because of the beautiful 360 degree views, and the fact taxes are a tenth of what I pay for my brick and mortar home in Iowa City.. I will not live in town after I retire in 7 years because of the taxes, and I don't need such a large house.

The MH 1.2 acre lot is also big enough for me to break ground and build the big garage Ive always wanted.. But as soon as I start increasing my "farms" property value, here comes the tax man! So instead of removing the MH and building my small dream house with huge garage, I'm tempted to keep the MH and only build a garage to keep taxes low. The problem is, the utilities are sky high on the MH. I guess MH's were never intended to be energy efficient, but I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to dump 20-30k and tons of time into the MH to make it energy efficient, rather than spend much more on a new house. I guess that's a no brainer, except for the fact any money and time spent on the MH would be lost during a resale, which I don't plan on, but you never know.. Where as a house is equity, and the value will go up, along with the taxes..

That's the first half of my question. The second half is, what should I do to the MH to make it more energy efficient if you decided to keep it? My MH needs a new roof so Ive been thinking about removing all the plywood and installing 4" of spray foam to the vaulted ceiling drywall and then additional blown in fiberglass to fill the space. Then attach either 2x2's or 2x4's on top of each roof truss over hanging 2' so that I can have overhanging soffit vents leading to a ridge vent.. This would also provide shade to all the windows and the ability to leave them open without fear of rain getting in unless winds are high.. But it also adds weight never intended to be on the MH roof. Then install new windows and 4" of foam board insulation on the walls before new siding.

Comments?

Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
spazatac

Anyone?

Maybe just your opinion about adding the overhanging ventilated soffit and if the structure could withstand the additional weight of eighty 2x4x10' screwed to the existing roof trusses? Because I believe it is worth investing into a mobile home to keep taxes low.

Another question I have is how to add R value to the floor? Because only way I'm seeing it, is remove the existing floor..

Thanks!
spazatac

Wow thanks for the warm welcome.

Must have been my comment about how mobile homes registered like a trailer are money pits vs brick and mortar homes that actually appreciate.