No house for me!!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

kashton

I would like to blame everyone on this site for my problem. After looking at many houses, and stressing over the money people want for "Total shacks", I am now going to purchase a newer mobile home.
Everyone here has done such beautiful work on their mobiles, that I have decided the only way to go, is of course, another mobile. This time it is going to be on land.

I can't compare a beautiful mobile to a house. Sure people make houses look great, but there is a pride in making a mobile home look and feel like a real home.(Not that they aren't a real home) I'm sure you all know what I mean. I do choose to live in a mobile. The strain of house hunting is gone!!!

So, even though I blame you all for making me buy another mobile, I would also like to thank you all for the great work you have done, and for changing my mind. Without seeing for myself what can be done, I would have bought something I didn't really want!!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hey Kashton,

LOL, well I have broad shoulders here on this site. Welcome back...stick builts are nice, but no more a home than ours! This you know well!

You said you were going to buy a new mobile...does that mean preowned?

You certainly know all the things to look for, but you can still print off the Guide to Purchasing a Used Home in the stickies on the Main Page.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.

Good hearing from you again.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
macmom

You have made a wise choice. We bought a reposed mobile home, we bought it 4 yrs ago. it is a 2000 model. So it really had not been broke in good yet. But it took us ii6 months of looking before we finally found our home. Some reposed homes were so trashed I can not believe that the seller would sell the "as is". I would have been ashamed to even be associated with them. But after looking all over eastern and central North Carolina we found our dream home. And at a really really good price. We bought it from a dealer that deals in Mobile Homes and we have never regretted it. He gave us a 7 day warranty after set up. And the only thing that was wrong, and i feel like this happened during transit was a fitting had worked lose in the shower. I called him and it was fixed the same day. We have had to our usual maintains that you would have even in a stick built home. Thats just part of owning a home.
When we had finally decided that we wanted to go with a "mobile home" I did my homework before we went shopping. That is when I found this wonderful site. There was a wonderful man named Tom that was here and he was so so helpful and always right back with an answer. He passed away a few yrs ago and more wonderful people came on board to fill his void. I think fondly of him often.
Enjoy your home. I dint think you will regret your decision....Macmom
danikasue

I got lucky with my repo. It's a 1996 and the selling company gave me a one year warranty. That definitely made me a lot more comfortable giving them my money. :)
Greg

Oh sure we see how it works now, we get you hooked and then when there is a problem it's OUR fault. Good logic, I like that!!! As Yanita said "Big sholders", no problem That is all part of being a family here. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kashton

I have a choice between two. They are both pre-owned.

1.) 1981, with 4 bedrooms, 1 bath, laundryroom, beautiful kitchen with a breakfast nook, huge livingroom. (but, only on an average size lot, with neighbors next door.)

2.) 1995, two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, another beautiful kitchen, average size mobile livingroom, huge(and I mean huge) yard with fruit trees, shed and a greenhouse) We would have to build another room on it right away, but in the area it is in, we can without permits.

I am leaning towards the big yard(for the kids and dog). Both places are extremely well maintained, and I am still having a hard time deciding. I am going to go look again tomorrow afternoon. I have to make up my mind before friday.

OK, so the only problem with either of the places is the one with the big yard. When the mobile was moved, the had problems with the back end getting water(ie.RAIN) behind the factory vinyl siding. They wanted to hire someone to fix, but the contractor gave them a price of $3000.00. They said NO. The Realty people researched the problem, and found that the make and modile of that mobile seemed to have problems with the siding at the top of the back ends. I looked at it. No overhang like on the rest of the roof. Rain is getting in(with the help of the wind) along a non-sealed ,very small section of the finish trim. Not a big deal to me. They reduced the price they wanted by $14,500.

So, maybe for me that is not such a problem!
Yanita

Hey Kashton,

We all know you are on a hands kinda women, definitely not afraid of tackling those repair jobs.

Are both of these homes listed as real property. If so I would go with the one with the most land. Also a home with only one bathroom will be hard raising kids.

Get some pics if you can! I am excited for you.

At first looking for a new home, is exciting, then it starts becoming a headache. I know when we sold the singlewide in the park, for this much older home in the country with an acre of land I might of passed on it. The home needed some upgrades, but having found this site years ago, and all the help available I knew we could get thru the repairs.

Hey if you can post some pics of the homes you are looking at!

Yanita

PS, you can do alot of repairs/upgrades with 14,500!
kashton

Ok, here are a couple of pics. First, the bigger, but older, with smaller yard(But I love the kitchen)

kashton

This one is the newer, smaller, bigger yard, but has two bathrooms.(sorry, got no pics of the bathrooms.)

Yanita

WOW, they are both nice looking homes.

Personally I like the older one better, but then again, I am not raising kids, and won't be making the mortgage payment.

So far my experience, and this is just MO, the older homes are built better than the newer ones. I know someone will jump in with HUD rules, but the comparison from my 99 single wide to this 35 yo home is remarkably different as far as interior structure and stability. Anyways you know what to look for, both homes looked like they have been well maintained!

Good luck,
Yanita
JD
Site Admin

Yes, both homes look very nice. I kind of like the white kitchen better. More counter space, especially near the sink. It kind of looks like a remodeled kitchen. Are those the original cabinets?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kashton

JD, yes they are. That place is a 1995. Does have some work to do on exterior, but if we buy that one, we will be building on that side anyway. Damage off, new on!

The older one is huge inside.( But there is a crappy run down, falling down fence) and the neighbor behind has a rather large collection of junk right up to the back fence, only 8-9 feet away from the mobile. Not my idea of a good neighbor.
gram2logan

Bummer!! I can't see any pictures - just the little red "x"

What could the problem be? I usually see the pics just fine.
Stop talking before people stop listening!
JD
Site Admin

Yep, I got the red X's too. I think these pics were posted before the site was revamped. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

Yes, for some reason, those pictures are missing from the data base. Maybe Kelley removed them. Her last pictures posted (still in the database) are from July.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!