Bridge Collapse

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

LynnieCheb

Everyone has probably heard about the bridge collapse in Minnesota. Me, and all my family and friends, are safe, but I think most people in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area are operating the way folks must have in New York after 9-1-1. A feeling of unreality and great sorrow.

Since our cities sit near large rivers, you can't go anywhere without crossing a good sized bridge. And the one that went down is one that all of us here have crossed a thousand times in our lifetime. When I was in college I walked to the Univ. of Minnesota almost every day on the smaller one that you can still see standing in the pictures. And I was just driving on the same bridge that collapsed last week at the same time of day it went down.

Anyway, what I'm asking for are prayers for the families who lost loved ones and those who still don't know. The Mississippi runs pretty fast by the time it gets here, even in our drought conditions, and the amount of debris in the water is making it run fast with a lot of eddies. They've dropped the water level, but can't keep divers down there more than 30 minutes at a time to search. Had to pull them up yesterday because it got too dangerous - haven't heard yet today. I know how scared I was until I found out my loved ones were o.k. (it took a while because they were asking us to stay off phones, etc.), and I can't begin to imagine their feelings after days with no word.

We're being asked to stay away from the scene, so I thought maybe this was a way I could help - by asking for your kind thoughts so the families can somehow feel that they are not alone in this.

Many thanks,
Mark
Site Admin

Definitely been a lot of coverage on the bridge. A bad deal. I got an e-mail earlier today from someone who was right at the edge of the bridge when it collapsed. No cars were ahead of him (except for those that fell with the bridge). He stood on the edge and watched in horror.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Maureen

I've sort of left this post alone for a few days, because I was waiting to hear from one of my brides.

I still haven't heard back from her. That's very unusual for a bride with a wedding 3 weeks away. I keep praying that I hear from her soon!

I can only imagine what you're going through Lynnie! It's tragic! But it only makes one wonder what else has been neglected in this country!

We're praying for everyone back there!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'