My addiction

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

JD
Site Admin

Might look like a pile of guitars and amps, but it's only the better half of my collection. This group has been acquired over a long period of time, dating back to 1986 or so. I have had guitars since 1965, but I no longer have those guitars.

I play in a rock/blues band and do a lot of open mic stuff with my friend, Adrienne. I started playing bass less than 2 years ago but I want that to be my main instrument. But with all the open mic stuff, I just acquired a new acoustic (not pictured) 6 string. A Breedlove Concert. Nicest acoustic I have ever had and just love it!

My other addiction is bass fishing. But between bass fishing and bass playing, I like bass best. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ponch37300

Nice collection! I'm about as musically challenged as they come. I've tried to learn a few different instruments and it's just not my thing. I usually catch onto most anything pretty easy but just never could catch onto the guitar.

My brother started playing a cheap electric guitar about 2 years ago. He's bought and sold a bunch of guitars in that time and has learned to play the bass and acoustic along with the electric. There was a benefit for him this past weekend and guitar center gave him a les paul guitar. I don't know much about guitars but it looks amazing.

Then they took his very first guitar and had a bunch of local musicians sign it and also a few of the Packer players that were there sign it and auctioned it off. Ended up going for 1500 dollars, he said it retails for around 100 bucks!
JD
Site Admin

What a wonderful thing they did for your brother! I love stuff like that. How is your brother doing?

My band has a charity gig coming up next month for UCP. http://www.ccucp.org/events/2014/05/10/thunder-run-2014

Have you ever tried playing a cajon? Maybe percussions is your thing. I do a lot of acoustic open mic things and just bought a LP Cajon (basically a plywood box you sit on and bang like a kitchen table) You get to where you can supply a pretty good rhythm and you can add shakers, tambourines, tambourines you wear on your foot, maybe a small cymbal. Great acoustic band drum set and pretty cheap. If you are good at tapping on a table, you would be good at the cajon.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ponch37300

It was an amazing event. Just overwhelming to see the amount of people that came out to support him. He's doing alright, recovering from his last round of chemo still and just waiting for the bone marrow donor details to be worked out. Had 2 good matches and they called the first one and he said he wanted to do it but when they tried to set a date with him he wouldn't respond. So they have moved onto the next donor and trying to set dates and what not. The families can't have anything to do with the donor selection due to privacy laws, which is understandable. So we just sit back and wait for now but they are hoping to do the transplant next month sometime. He's been home for just over a week now and is doing alright after being in the children's hospital for about 6 weeks.

It's amazing how generous local bands are to give their time to benefits. That looks like a neat CP benefit that you guys are doing. My brother's band actually played at a CP telethon a few weeks ago, he wasn't able to be there but here is a picture I found online from it, https://twitter.com/tammyelliottTV2/sta ... 8426619904. He plays for Appleton Rock School which is a place that gives lessons and gets kids together to form bands. They play at a lot of benefits and other places. It's a pretty neat deal for the kids. Here's their facebook page with some pictures from Jordan's benefit on it https://www.facebook.com/appletonrockschool?filter=1. You can see the les paul in a few of them.

That cajon looks pretty neat. I did a search and found some info about building one. Maybe I'll look into making one. I tried the drums a few times and that was just too many different things going on at one time for me! I'm really good at multitasking and I'm pretty coordinated but the few times I tried the drums my hands and feet just didn't want to work together!
JD
Site Admin

Watched a lot of the kids playing from that link. That is such a cool thing for these kids. Music teaches so much more than music and be the base of everything to come.

Wish the best for your brother. It must be encouraging to have all the positive support.

Play the cajon with the fingers. It is not a conga. :)
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

thatswhoiam

whoa, thats pretty impressive
JD
Site Admin

An update story. If you look at the image of amps, the one to my left on top of the Marshall cab is a vintage 1964 blackface Bassman head. These are highly sought after amps used by many of the biggest names in the business. I knew that it had once belonged to a local musician/singer/guitar guru, probably the best in the valley here While getting out and performing, I let him know I had it. He went nuts and just had to have it offering big $$$. I found out when this 40'ish man was 13, he landed his first big gig. His father bought this amp for him so he could have a "real" pro style amp. So with that story, I told him I couldn't talk money with him as it was just too personal to him. I ended up trading it to him for a fairly new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp, that I just love! Then he threw in a quaint and cool vintage bass guitar as an extra thank you. This was a great experience as I would not have sold that amp to anyone, even for way more than it was worth. I was going to have it forever. But it is now in it's true home with a great musician and friend.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Greg

Ok, your foot is in the door. Now you just have to get him on stage with you as a "Guest" kinda like Peter Framton on the salute to the Beatles with bands that had members that weren't even born yet when the Beatles were around.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."