Travel Trailer/Deck Roof transition

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Deno505012009

Hello, I am new to this site. I'm sure this question isn't getting posted in the right spot but, it is the only forum that it gave me the option to post a new topic. Is there a help index on the site? Where is it located?

Here is my problem: We just purchased a new travel trailer last fall. We had our first "used" one beginning in the fall of 2011 and were definately "Newbies"! Our first used one was on a leased lot and had a deck with a roof attached. The deck roof was taller than the trailer and we along with everyone else in the campground used the heavy vinyl that is on bill boards to make a flap that hangs from the deck roof down to the trailer roof that is weighted down with 2x4's enclosed in the bottom of the flap.

We bought a large trailer last fall on a new lot that also had a deck in front of it with a roof on it. The trailer was full of mold and we traded it in on a new one. When we had the trailer delivered, the "new deck" is SHORTER than our new trailer......How do we transition and close off that distance to keep rain from drenching us? The new trailer is also around 8-10 inches away from the deck and that span will need to be spanned. I think I have that under control. I will use built in counter-tops between the posts along with built in benches for additional seating with the underneigth of each having heavy duty lattise to keep the dogs/toys/objects from falling down through the span. We will also build a 1 step up to span the area going into the sliding patio door with a railing.

Due to the angle of the deck on the new lot and the electric/water hook-ups, we had a very narrow space to manuver the trailer into the spot and couldn't get the trailer closer to the deck. Here is the pic's of old first trailer/deck, repairs we completed showing the vinyl flap spanning the space between trailer/deck roof and also the new lot/deck/trailer. Would appreciate any ideas on how to bridge that divide to keep rain from coming between the new trailer and the new deck. Hope I posted this and photo's okay :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deno505012009

ok, sorry I don't know how to make the pic's normal size..............
1987Commodore

It seems to me that the easiest solution would be to raise the deck roof enough that you can seal it the same way your other one was. Maybe you could add a vertical piece to the back edge of the deck roof with proper flashing to get the needed height, or extend the current posts to raise the whole thing?
You would have to sister new boards around the posts for strength.
Greg

1987Commodore wrote:It seems to me that the easiest solution would be to raise the deck roof enough that you can seal it the same way your other one was. Maybe you could add a vertical piece to the back edge of the deck roof with proper flashing to get the needed height, or extend the current posts to raise the whole thing?
Or go 1 step farther and extend the deck roof over the trailer (like a drive through) and give the trailer a little added protection.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

That would be the best solution, if the park will allow it.
Deno505012009

1987Commodore wrote:It seems to me that the easiest solution would be to raise the deck roof enough that you can seal it the same way your other one was. Maybe you could add a vertical piece to the back edge of the deck roof with proper flashing to get the needed height, or extend the current posts to raise the whole thing?
Thanks for the suggestions of "sistering" on up-supports, I was thinking of that. Just trying to figure out if it would be stable with winds? I am a woman and NOT mechanical/engineering minded. This has been racking my brain all winter! The roof over the trailer is out of the question since we would have to jump through hoops with two zoning boards and they are cracking down. Too many people had slapped up structures and those two boards are being hard-nosed. We would also have trouble having to move it if it needs releveled down the road due to Electric/water posts behind the trailer. Did you notice that the old trailer roof was flat and the new one is slopped? Wondering if we could attach a gutter on the deck supports that will be extended up/over the trailer so that any rain off that over fills the built in small gutter would roll over into the gutter and down spouts on the trailer? If anyone can draw me a diagram, it would be appreciated! Don't know if it will work or if it would just become a parachute with high winds. I'm thinking like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD
Site Admin

This could be a hard one to flash. Does the trailer move at all when getting in or walking around? It could be the tiniest amount of movement and flashing would constantly be coming loose. When you attach to the trailer, be sure to attach under the drip rail and not on the roof surface itself. When attaching the flashing to the awning, you could cut slots for the screws to go through and use wide head screws to allow the movement to happen without damage.

Another idea would be to add an aluminum awning pan lengthways to the awning, directing the rain to flow to the ends of the trailer and awning. You would need some kind of framed support to hold up the awning panel. You could use two awning panels, peaked in the middle, to make a wider protected area. An "eyebrow" type flashing on the trailer would direct rain into the awning pans. Just an idea.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Deno505012009

JD wrote:This could be a hard one to flash. Does the trailer move at all when getting in or walking around? It could be the tiniest amount of movement and flashing would constantly be coming loose. When you attach to the trailer, be sure to attach under the drip rail and not on the roof surface itself. When attaching the flashing to the awning, you could cut slots for the screws to go through and use wide head screws to allow the movement to happen without damage.

Another idea would be to add an aluminum awning pan lengthways to the awning, directing the rain to flow to the ends of the trailer and awning. You would need some kind of framed support to hold up the awning panel. You could use two awning panels, peaked in the middle, to make a wider protected area. An "eyebrow" type flashing on the trailer would direct rain into the awning pans. Just an idea.
Thank you for responding! Yes it does have movement which is slight. The "awning pan" you refer to, is it a gutter?
1987Commodore

Scan_20140331_235935.jpg
Throwing this out for consideration - Leave the deck roof as is. Attach a gutter to the trailer, sealing and flashing as necessary. Make sure that there is no way for water to seep in through the gutter attaching points. Attach more flashing from the other side of the gutter to the deck roof, letting it rest on the deck roof, but not attached to it, letting it move freely. If you are concerned with wind lifting the flashing off the deck roof, toss a few bricks on it to weight it down. I see some of my drawing got cut off, but i think you can get the idea.
Deno505012009

Thank you for the idea/Picture 1987Commodore! Think I'm gonna call a gutter person that does the one piece with no seams to leak!